PDA

View Full Version : mdf with formica/melamine

alex grams
02-05-2008, 10:20 AM
Outside of local cabinet shops, where do most of you get your sheets for making Tablesaw extension tables/router tables and such? I'de like some for some tables in the shop, but would prefer to find a place that has 4x8 or even 4x4 or 2x4 prelaminated sheets.

Experiences?

Jim O'Dell
02-05-2008, 10:31 AM
Home Depot used to have it. I got 2 of their last sheets on close out. I've been to 3 Lowes in the last 2 days, and all 3 have some. White and a few earth tone/stone imitation colors. About 45.00 per 4 X 8 sheet. Bigger cities also have a supplier, and I can actually go buy it direct from them. They should have several sizes to choose from. Maybe ask a local counter top shop where they get their supplies or if they would sell some to you. HD will also special order it, but there is a healthy shipping charge. Jim.

Lee Koepke
02-05-2008, 10:38 AM
I had a cabinet sub in florida that would let me rummage thru his "cutoffs" .. I got quite a few pieces of plam from him thats scrap to him, gold to me !!!

PS. that didnt answer your question about pre-laminiated stuff. sorry for the sidebar !!!

alex grams
02-05-2008, 10:54 AM
The irony of this being that i worked in my family's cabinet shop most of my highschool years and glued up hundreds upon hundreds of 4x8 sheets for cabinets, now i can't find a place that has them pre-fabbed :(

Dave Falkenstein
02-05-2008, 11:06 AM
Melamine is available at most any place that sells sheet goods. Melamine does not hold up well to abuse though, like on a router table top or table saw outfeed table.

I have not seen pre-laminated Formica sheets for sale anywhere that I can recall. I make my own when I need it. I used to buy Formica at Home Depot, but I have heard that they no longer carry it in some stores.

In metro areas there are usually dealers that sell sheet goods and veneers. Some cater to the wholesale market and have minimum purchase policies. Check with your local cabinet shops to see where they buy materials.

I would think that cabinet shops (as you mentioned) would be happy to make pre-laminated sheets for you, maybe even using Formica "scraps" on the smaller sizes.

Mike Spanbauer
02-05-2008, 11:13 AM
Depending no your timing and your price sensitivity, Woodpeckers sells their phenolic 1" laminate every 6 or 12 months (for a short window) I believe that the last one just passed?

It is probably the best possible material you could obtain for outfeeds anywhere.

Otherwise, just make some of your own, it's not too hard to do just time consuming and a bit stinky (contact cement :))

mike