PDA

View Full Version : Unplugging tools when working on them...

Wade Lippman
02-05-2008, 10:01 AM
A week ago I asked if it was necessary to unplug my Freud 3000 router when changing bits, as the spindle lock should prevent injury if the switch were somehow turned on. The unanimous response was that you always unplug power tools before working on them.

I do that now for my router and saws, but never for a lathe or drill press. I have worked in machine shops and have NEVER seen anyone unplug a lathe or drill press.

Do you?

Jim Becker
02-05-2008, 10:05 AM
For those two tools, no I don't.

David Duke
02-05-2008, 10:05 AM
I think the obvious answer is it all depends on what your doing, if you just changing bits in the DP no but if you changing speeds by adjusting the belts on the pulleys yes because you hands could get caught between the belt and pulley.

Lee Koepke
02-05-2008, 10:08 AM
I make it a habit to work safely. I force myself to unplug things, even for just a second. Personally, I feel if I start taking "shortcuts' and trying to just get by ... THAT becomes the habit instead of doing the RIGHT thing.

I am a hobby-ist WW, so maybe my perspective is different, but for something that takes seconds, why bother rushing ????

Jim Becker
02-05-2008, 10:11 AM
I think the obvious answer is it all depends on what your doing, if you just changing bits in the DP no but if you changing speeds by adjusting the belts on the pulleys yes because you hands could get caught between the belt and pulley.

Excellent point, David. Belt changes would be where I'd unplug, too. (Same on the lathe)

Peter Quinn
02-05-2008, 10:20 AM
Worked in a medium size pro shop...every machine had a lock out/tag out manual disconnect (OSHA required it I think). Few guys ever used them. Saw one guy shoot a machinists square into the ceiling changing a table saw blade, saw another guy get hit in the face with the chuck key when the DP he was setting up turned on. There was a 7 1/2HP PM shaper with a warped spindle/trunion parked in the corner...turned on with the spindel lock engaged...guy setting it up didn't get hurt but the machine has never been the same! Please manually disconnect all power whenever servicing/changing tooling on any machine. Even momentary magnetic starters have bad days.

Rod Sheridan
02-05-2008, 10:46 AM
I do that now for my router and saws, but never for a lathe or drill press. I have worked in machine shops and have NEVER seen anyone unplug a lathe or drill press.

Do you?

Hi Wade, I always unplug equipment and tools when changing bits or blades, or using a height gauge or ruler to set tablesaw blade height for example.

In industry, the disconnect switch was always opened and locked when performing the above tasks, not only was it the law, it was good practice.

I don't about you, however I wouldn't want the tablesaw to start up when I have the guard raised and my fingers/measuring instruments in the blade area.

I've seen two people lose fingers in drill presses in industry, I think both of them would now probably be lockout fanactics.

Regards, Rod.

Tim Sgrazzutti
02-05-2008, 10:50 AM
Studies have shown that unplugged tools have a 100% chance of NOT turning on. I feel better trusting a plug that is a few feet from a receptacle, than a couple of switch contacts (that I can't see) 1/8" apart.

Also, NEVER trust magnetic starter switches. It is well documented that they can engage when machines are accidentally bumped.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-05-2008, 11:01 AM
I'm a creature of habit. At work I always turn power off if I can when servicing equipment.

Changing a bit in the DP....No.

Screwing my chuck on the lathe....No

Just about anything else....Yep I unplug it.

Bruce Benjamin
02-05-2008, 11:05 AM
I don't have a lathe but I do have a drill press. I'll confess that I don't usually unplug it when changing bits but I absolutely do when moving the belts for a different speed.

With my router and tablesaw I always unplug them when working on them. One suggestion to make it less of a hassle is to arrange the cords so that the plugs are conveniently located. I have my router table in the extension wing of my TS. I have a built in switch on the TS fence rail. The cord for the switch isn't long enough to use without an extension cord so I always loop the cord with the plug over the end of the fence rail. It's so close that I don't even have to take a step to use it.

The more convenient you make it to unplug the more likely you are to do so. If you're using an extension cord try to arrange the cord so that it's looped safely on or near the machine being used. You're much more likely to unplug it if you don't have to track down the plug on the floor or squeeze behind a machine to get to the wall plug. The reason I don't unplug my drill press, (aside from being lazy) is that it's pretty close to the wall plug so it doesn't need an extension cord. But the plug isn't very easy to reach. I probably should make up a short length of extension cord and hang it from my drill table.

Bruce