PDA

View Full Version : Getting a clamp on things!

Tim Allaire
02-05-2008, 8:41 AM
I have been using small clamps and borrowing clamps from a friend for larger projects. I believe it is time to invest. Any suggestions? (money is an issue: I DONT HAVE MUCH)

I want to build a table this spring and need something that will span 36in.

alex grams
02-05-2008, 9:04 AM
It all depends on what kind of clamps you like and plan on using. I like the parallel bar clamps. There are also F style clamps and C-Clamps, along with wooden block clamps.

The cheapest and best bang for your buck (IMO) would be the woodcraft parallel clamps. The best value (but more expensive) would be the Jet Parallel clamps ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000F79022/ref=wl_itt_dp?ie=UTF8&coliid=I27TIWY22DR8CB&colid=2HSTVQTE0IZGG )

Most people will heap praise on the jet clamps (I personally have 6 woodcraft clamps and am very pleased with them, but am waiting for the jet set listed on amazon to drop to <100$ and then i will order those).

Clamps are the one tool i will never have enough of.

Ben Martin
02-05-2008, 9:04 AM
I recently bought 2 Jet cabinet door clamps sets on Amazon for $126 and 2 Bessey K-Body Extenders, I am hoping that this will let me get a start on projects. I like you am short on funds and starting out is proving to be prety expensive, as with all hobbies...

I couldn't find much used local, so I had to buy new, I would check used first though.

Bill White
02-05-2008, 9:17 AM
Dear "I don't have much",
I know that the purists don't want to hear this response, but the old standby pipe clamps still work, and are relatively inexpensive. I know they don't have the sparkle of Besseys, etc., but they have been around a LONG time 'cause they still work. Ugly? Yep!!! Functional? Yep!!!
Bill

Eric DeSilva
02-05-2008, 9:44 AM
If you have some time, there is always craigslist... I found 17 Bessey K Bodies (4 x 50', 6 x 36", 8 x 24") in good shape for an average of under $25 a clamp... That said, the first ones I reach for are always the JETs...

Paul Girouard
02-05-2008, 9:52 AM
Pony brand Bar/ pipe clamps. Pipe is cheap , relatively , get the 3/4" type. With the crank , not the sliding bar , tightening handle.

We had 8 K bodies at a shop I worked at , I thought they were expensive junk , they slipped , they where "hard" to engage / catch. I wouldn't buy those with your money , you'd get almost 3 pipe clamp set ups for what you'll pay for one Bessey. So if money is a player you can't beat the Pony's.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b299/PEG688/Jan31200826.jpg

David Duke
02-05-2008, 10:09 AM
As Paul and Bill said you can't beat the pipe clamps for functionality and value. Do I have parallel clamps.....yes, do I like them and wish I had more.......yes, could I "get by" with out them and just use pipe clamps........YES.

Jim Becker
02-05-2008, 10:09 AM
While I personally prefer parallel jaw clamps, with a limited budget, you cannot beat pipe clamps. But get the updated versions that have the little feet on them which makes clamping some projects on the bench easier. You'll also want an assortment of smaller "F" style clamps and spring clamps. I couldn't be without the four small Quick Clamps I have, too...the trigger actuation is very handy for many types of operations.

Greg Cole
02-05-2008, 10:11 AM
Don't forget clamp cauls. A little scrap hardwood is all you really need.
In many instances you can eliminate the sheer # of clamps needed..... and you can apply clamping pressure in places your clamps can't reach.;)

Greg

John Dingman
02-05-2008, 10:30 AM
I have been using small clamps and borrowing clamps from a friend for larger projects. I believe it is time to invest. Any suggestions? (money is an issue: I DONT HAVE MUCH)

I want to build a table this spring and need something that will span 36in.Hi TIm,

I have had the Jorgensen Cabinet Clamps. I now have Bessys and the new Jet Clamps that another poster posted the link to. I have used all of them on projects and I like the Jets the best. My second favorite would be the Bessys. I have Rockler Pipe clamps and they work well too.

hth,
John

Keith Beck
02-05-2008, 1:36 PM
Tim,

I'm with John on this one. When I first started amassing parallel clamps, I didn't know which ones I like best, so I started buying some of each manufacturer. I've got Besseys, Jorgensens, Gros Stabils, the Woodcraft Green Besseys, and Jets. After trying them all out, I can say that all of my future parallel clamp purchases will be Jets. I just think they're easier to use and better built than the others. They cost a little more, but you can occasionally catch them on sale. I also like Jet's F-style clamps.

Just my .02...

Keith