PDA

View Full Version : Harbor Freight router template guide set

Russ Sears
02-05-2008, 7:12 AM
HF has a 10 piece set for $20: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=95160

Are these any good or should I run like the wind in the opposite direction?

Joe Spear
02-05-2008, 7:23 AM
They may be all right, however, some of the cheaper sets are not perfectly machined and may have some run-out. I don't know specifically about that set, but sets like the ones you can get from Lee Valley or other really first-class outfits are dependable. For something that will last nearly forever, the cost difference is insignificant.

Anthony Whitesell
02-05-2008, 7:59 AM
If you're worried about it, the Woodcraft set has gone on sale from time to time for $19.99. I purchased the Woodcraft set and haven't had any problems, yet.

Rob Luter
02-05-2008, 8:10 AM
I'd be wary. I've purchased a couple of items from HF, and been disappointed both times. The latest were 6 HF "Pittsburg" brand pipe clamps this past weekend. The price was really good. I figured a clamp was a clamp. I was wrong. The hole in the moving clamp jaw that receives the screw was so crooked that the jaw did a little jitterbug move when you turned the crank. It was enough to bind up on the pipe. I took them back and got some Pony brand at the Borg. Paid 50% more, but they work.

Bruce Benjamin
02-05-2008, 11:39 AM
I'd be wary. I've purchased a couple of items from HF, and been disappointed both times. The latest were 6 HF "Pittsburg" brand pipe clamps this past weekend. The price was really good. I figured a clamp was a clamp. I was wrong. The hole in the moving clamp jaw that receives the screw was so crooked that the jaw did a little jitterbug move when you turned the crank. It was enough to bind up on the pipe. I took them back and got some Pony brand at the Borg. Paid 50% more, but they work.

People making general complaints about HF tools is about as old as the hills and there are just as many, if not more people who are very satisfied with a lot of what they sell. I'm one of them and I pick and choose what I buy and often get great deals. If I'm not happy I drive 3 miles back to the store and they politely give me my money back. I don't have to do that too often though as usually just inspecting and handling the tool or other gizmo there tells me if it's any good or not. I have some 3/4" HF pipe clamps that work just fine.

Since the OP asked about a specific tool I'll answer and say that I have that set and I've had no problems with it. I actually have two sets. They were so inexpensive that I bought a second set and cut/ground off the guide portion leaving just a hole. I use these as zero clearance inserts for my router table. I've seen another company selling these, (Don't remember who) but it was much less expensive to spend 20 or 30 minutes modifying the HF guides. The set that's still intact works just as well as a set I got from Infinity Tools as a free bonus.

Bruce

Greg Muller
02-05-2008, 12:09 PM
I don't see those on the "HF Gems" list;

http://woodworkerszone.com/wiki/index.php?title=Harbor_Freight_Gems

But that doesn't mean they shouldn't be on there. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. There are some items I have purchased from HF that work great and are comparable to tools that sell for much more. On the other hand, I have had poor results from HF items that other people say work great for them.

I think that is the complaint of the HF detractors- inconsistency. The obvious benefit of HF items is the price. You aren't out much if the item isn't up to expectations, expecially since I have never gotten any grief from the store when I returned an item. The employees there are pretty immune to criticism. That tells you something, eh?

Greg

Gary Muto
02-05-2008, 5:26 PM
Rockler sells a set for $20 when on sale so I went with that option. Nice quality.

Bruce Wrenn
02-05-2008, 11:07 PM
I have a set from Woodcraft ($19.99), Woodline ($20.00), and Freud ($25.00), plus some assorted PC ones. What I like about the Woodcraft/ Woodline is the threads are the same as the PC ones. Freud uses a metric thread. Always looking for right nut. Take a PC nut with you and see if it fits the HF ones. If it doesn't, I would pass on them.

glenn bradley
02-05-2008, 11:44 PM
I'm for the Woodcraft-like ones; they all have a .24" length so they can track 1/4" templates. Many others get longer as the diameter increases making them ill suited for this. I bought a set for $29 and they do go on sale for $19 now and again if you want to wait. So the $9 extra will save you a trip back to HF.

Russ Sears
02-06-2008, 7:05 AM
Glenn, that's a good point and looking at the pictures of the HF vs. Woodcraft I can see that the HF's do get longer with increased diameter.
I'm not in a hurry so I'll just keep my eyes peeled for a Woodcraft sale. I saw the set at my local HF and was curious and I appreciate everyone's opinion.