PDA

View Full Version : I have been asked to repair an ark where the veneer is peeling and slipting.

Wade Lippman
02-05-2008, 5:22 AM
Since clamping is impracticl it seems to me that the best way is to work CA glue in with a hypodermic neddle and hold it down the best I can for a few minutes.' The cracks in the walnut dissapeer, bu tthe one in the maple show up badly . I am looking at filling with list filler

I have never done this sort of thing before, so I might not have any idea whaaht I am talking about. Advice woud be appreciated.

Steve Schoene
02-05-2008, 7:51 AM
I'll start by asking a few questions. Can you describe this ark a bit more, perhaps post a picture? What kind of finish is now on the veneer. How old is the ark and the finish, and how was the veneer is adhered in the first place? What do you mean by "list filler"?

Rick Moyer
02-05-2008, 9:30 AM
Wade, not to be a smartie, but do you mean an arc or arch, possibly. A pic would be helpful. If you are repairing an ark, and with how it's raining here right now, I'd better get my affairs in order!!:D

Wade Lippman
02-11-2008, 4:47 AM
Wade, not to be a smartie, but do you mean an arc or arch, possibly. A pic would be helpful. If you are repairing an ark, and with how it's raining here right now, I'd better get my affairs in order!!:D

An ark to hold Torahs; as on "Raiders of the Lost Ark". Ours is smaller. Sections of the veneer, especially around seams, have delaminated. I will try to get some photos, but it is mainly experience by touch.

Jim Becker
02-11-2008, 10:03 AM
Rick, to expand upone Wade's explainatin, the Ark in a synogogue is essentially a cabinet that is used to hold the Torah (bible) scrolls in a safe and sacred way. Some of these are simple; some are very elaborate. Some are free-standing; some are built into the major designs on the dais (bema) at the front of the worship sanctuary. The basis for this goes "way back" in history...

Sam Yerardi
02-11-2008, 11:42 AM
Wade,

Cyanoacrylate might end up having to be your choice but I would strongly investigate what was used originally more closely, as it will be very difficult to repair a CA joint in this case if something goes wrong. CA can be reversed or dissolved with the proper solvent but once it's under the veneer it is another story. Getting to it without causing further damage is one problem. How old is this and do you know what type of glue was used originally? If it is very old it could be hide glue. If that's the case then that might simplify things a bit.

Rick Moyer
02-11-2008, 3:13 PM
Rick, to expand upone Wade's explainatin, the Ark in a synogogue is essentially a cabinet that is used to hold the Torah (bible) scrolls in a safe and sacred way. Some of these are simple; some are very elaborate. Some are free-standing; some are built into the major designs on the dais (bema) at the front of the worship sanctuary. The basis for this goes "way back" in history...

Yeah, I knew that; It just wasn't registering with me at the time. Also please accept apologies for the TOS voilation.

Chris Padilla
02-11-2008, 6:32 PM
I've used Poly's in the past to push down bubbled up veneers. The reason I like it is because you can warm it up in the micorwave to almost water viscosity (i.e. real darn runny). I then pierce/slit the bubble and dribble the water-like poly glue into the void however one can (toothpicks work) and then wax paper and caul and clamp.

Seems to have held up over the past couple of years but I would practice a bit on some scrap and with the warm poly to get a feel for it. Dunno, it doesn't seem like this will apply to your situation but something else to kick around.