PDA

View Full Version : Mortise Lock door latches

Joe Suelter
03-06-2004, 4:53 PM
Anybody ever use these? We have them in our 65 year old home, on all the doors. Lowe's has the replacement latch assemblies, and I also found the crystal knobs, but our problem is that after a few months, the set screw loosens and strips out the 1/4" square bar that the knobs attatch to. Any ideas as to stop this from happening? These things aren't that expensive, about $6 for replacement knobs, but it's just a hassle. Do you think that some thread lock would work, I think they are loosening from opening/closing. The bar is just a small piece of non-hardened steel with some "threads" on it. The knobs are a cheap brass with threads inside, with a set-screw. ***I should clarify..they are on all the interior doors***

Jeff Hamilton
03-06-2004, 5:32 PM
I think that a little blue lock tite might just help you out.
Just my 2 cents
Jeff hamilton

Pat Salter
03-06-2004, 8:49 PM
yep, a little lock tite is the right way to go. Also, make sure that the set screw is hitting a flat side of the spindle. Most lock manufactors now send the new locks with locktite already on the screws

um put a touch on the spindle threads too.

Joe Suelter
03-07-2004, 1:00 AM
Cool guys, thanks. I will give it a shot. Pat, thanks for the idea on the spindle threads, it can only help.

David Durgy
03-07-2004, 7:25 AM
Put magic marker on the end of the set screw and tighten down to the spindle. Make an indentation in the spindle with a drill to give the end of the set screw a mate.
If you use Loc-tite make sure it's the one that's not permanent. I belieive it is the blue as Jeff mentioned, not the red.

Tyler Howell
03-07-2004, 8:36 AM
Joe,

All sounds good, I was thinking you may have to shell out a few coins for a more expensive knob. Some times inexpensive big box hardware is just that. "Cheap". I'm sure you know you can spend your whole pay check on door hardware. There must be a happy medium out there.
Good luck.