PDA

View Full Version : My Latest Turning

Jason Hallowell
02-05-2008, 2:12 AM
My brother, who is an avid fly fisherman, is about to come home from two years in Ecuador. I decided to make him a custom fly rod as a welcome home gift. This is a practice rod I am making for myself, in the hopes that all my beginner mistakes will be on this one rather than on the expensive components I bought for his rod. I have a feeling that if lived closer to water, this rod-building thing might become another vortex like addiction.

Mesquite reel seat w/ bloodwood accents-
http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff202/desert1pocket/Rods019.jpg

Mequite grip-

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff202/desert1pocket/Rods014.jpg

Removable fighting butt with inset dime (the one for my brother will have coin from year he was born)-

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff202/desert1pocket/Rods011.jpg

The easy part (the turning) is all done, and now I get to learn how to wrap the guides and apply the epoxy finish.

Bruce Shiverdecker
02-05-2008, 2:27 AM
This is a beautiful start.

Bruce

'Tam' Porter
02-05-2008, 3:56 AM
Some really nice work there Jason, almost seems a pity to use it for fishing.

Dave Stoler
02-05-2008, 4:31 AM
Very nice!I,m sure he,ll enjoy it!

Ben Gastfriend
02-05-2008, 6:38 AM
Nice work, cool idea. Your finish looks good and durable.

Ron Drew
02-05-2008, 7:01 AM
Beautiful work and thoughtful idea Jason. I'm sure you're brother will love it.

Bob Hallowell
02-05-2008, 7:32 AM
Jason,
it looks great love the bloodwood accent and the wrapping is pretty easy. Do you self a favor and buy a cheap drying motor and make a stand. That will constantly rotate the rod and keap the epoxy from sagging (learned this the hard way.

If i could make one suggestion- please don't be offened but I would use cork for the handle. you can buy cork rings glue them up and make you own handle even put a wood accent on the top and bottom. but the wood won't be as comfrotable, it will be colder to hold and slippery.

Bob

robert hainstock
02-05-2008, 9:38 AM
A realy heart felt gift. :):):)
Bob

Dennis Peacock
02-05-2008, 9:42 AM
Beautiful and most well done. A gift to treasure for a lifetime. :D

David Walser
02-05-2008, 9:46 AM
to have such a nice brother.

The fly rod looks great -- especially considering this is "just practice".

Tell us, if you don't mind, what your brother was doing in Ecuador for two years.

Bernie Weishapl
02-05-2008, 11:02 AM
Jason what a great gift. He will treasure that for a long time. That is a awesome looking fly rod especially for a practice one. Well done. Can't wait to see his.

Jason Hallowell
02-05-2008, 4:52 PM
Thanks for the nice comments guys.

No offense taken Bob, I ruined some expensive cork burl with my first mandrel set-up, and used all wood on this one so I wouldn't have to buy any more cork. I think I've got the mandrel set up dialed in now. My brother tends to hold the rod right at the winding check, so I think his grip will be a western style out of cork burl, and maybe a wood accent right at the reel seat. As for the dryer, I just got a scratch and dent rotisserie motor at the BBQ store the other day for $12, so I think I'm set.

Benjamin Dahl
02-05-2008, 5:18 PM
Jason, that is a beauty. Fishing is another obsession of mine and I might have to try that myself sometime.
Ben

Paul Engle
02-05-2008, 5:51 PM
Jason, nice work on the reel seat ... but i will agree with Bob, after 40 some years of fly fishing ..... cork is the only way to do. You might be able to inlay some cork at the " grip spots" palm heel, palm outside edge and , index finger to hand joint area... thumb rest .. but do not put a finish on the cork part.

Jason Hallowell
02-05-2008, 8:16 PM
Tell us, if you don't mind, what your brother was doing in Ecuador for two years.

He converted to LDS a few years ago, and is currently on his mission.