cast iron router table already mounted to the saw
with both wings also mounted.

I think I could get the MFT dead even with the saw
but I worry about wear on the MDF and I worry about
keeping dead even. I have the nastiest pitted uneven
concrete floors so just bumping into the table will throw
it off.

If I make the MFT well below the level of the table saw
I can have a MFT mount outfeed roller but if I'm an eighth below the table saw table then my work will fall down an eighth onto the table.

What do people usually do with outfeed tables?

I currently use two roller stands that I make dead even
with a straightedge and that works great.

Thanks for any ideas.

Steve Roxberg
02-04-2008, 11:02 PM
Do you have the rail installed, the last thing I would want to do is taking the rail on and off all the time. It does, at least for me, take a few minutes to dial it back in.

It wouldn't work for me.

Wade Lippman
02-04-2008, 11:10 PM
It is an interesting idea.
One problem might be that the miter gauge would have no place to go; outfeed tables always have slots for them.

Rob Blaustein
02-04-2008, 11:33 PM
...outfeed tables always have slots for them.

Not if you use them only for ripping.

Kevin Ladenheim
02-04-2008, 11:53 PM
I didn't think of the miter gauge slots. That's a vote for having the MFT below the table saw table height by the thickness of the gauge rail blus a little bit. That's roughly
3/4".

McMaster has 3/4" round axle conveyor rollers so I can probably make something low profile with other of those
to sit on top of the MFT.

Dave Falkenstein
02-05-2008, 9:02 AM
As for an outfeed table, I built one that attaches to the rear rail with hinges. The outfeed table folds down when not in use, so it takes minimal storage space.

Using a Festool MFT as an outfeed table would not work well, IMHO. You mentioned the miter slot issue. And someone mentioned the MFT fence and rail issue. In addition the MFT is not easily moved around the shop, once the legs are in position. If you want to use it as an assembly table, with access to all 4 sides, the table saw would interfere. I'd rethink the MFT outfeed table idea and fold up the MFT legs to store it when not in use.

Jim Becker
02-05-2008, 9:38 AM
Do you have the rail installed, the last thing I would want to do is taking the rail on and off all the time. It does, at least for me, take a few minutes to dial it back in.

I somewhat agree with this. I wouldn't want to be removing the rail frequently, if at all. Further, the height of the MFT may be way too low for this application, too.