PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing TS and Jointer

Bill Morgan
02-04-2008, 10:34 PM
This is a first post as I am new to forum. I am just beginning to really get into woodworking and am going to Grizzly soon(4 days!) to pick up a TS 1023sl and jointer 0490 with spiral cutter. I don't have jointer currently and my tablesaw is barely worthy of that title! I am pretty sure these are what I have decided on unless there is some convincing reason I should choose differently. I have read as much as I can find and have not found any reason to shy away from Grizzly. Also, what would be some "priority" accessories (ie after market miter gauge, roller outfeed support, tenoning jig, etc.) that I should consider? I also thought the 1023slw might be worth considering as you get the router table extension for like $55. I have limited space for now and thought it might be a good start for that cheap. Well, interested to hear all opinions. Glad I found this forum. Thanks in advance.
Bill

Also: Any tips on set up and tuning up the machines when I get them home would be appreciated. I spoke with the Grizzly rep and he told me tallest box would be 41" and I have a cap on my truck that limits height at opening to 38". Any chance of getting them to fit without removing cap? Could TS be placed on side or is this a bad idea?

Art Mann
02-04-2008, 10:46 PM
I think your choices of equipment are excellent. I doubt if you will outgrow them or wear them out in this lifetime. The first accessory I would recommend is a cross cut sled for the tablesaw. You can buy them at considerable cost, but I think you can build a better one if you are careful and make it precise. I prefer it to my my Incra 1000se for 90 degree crosscutting.

Bill Morgan
02-04-2008, 10:56 PM
Yeah, I think I am willing to spend some extra $ now vs. buying cheaper now and repurchasing a tool down the road. But, that can be fun too right!
Bill

Daniel McCurdy
02-05-2008, 12:48 AM
I also thought the 1023slw might be worth considering as you get the router table extension for like $55. I have limited space for now and thought it might be a good start for that cheap.

Hey Bill, I bought a used 1023 that doesn't have the router table ext. If I were to get a new one...I'd get the slw. I've talked to others that have it and they said they like it.

I spoke with the Grizzly rep and he told me tallest box would be 41" and I have a cap on my truck that limits height at opening to 38". Any chance of getting them to fit without removing cap? Could TS be placed on side or is this a bad idea?

Can't speak from experience, but my thoughts would be if removing the cap isn't an option maybe consider taking the saw out of its crating. I'd think that would save you enough room. Did the quoted 41" include the pallet? Depending on how its attached to the pallet, maybe the fork lift guy could lift it to the tailgate height and then with some help you could move the saw off the pallet and onto the bed? Losing the pallet should save you the 3" you need to clear the cap.

Just a thought.

Craig Stevens
02-05-2008, 3:37 AM
Bill,

What a setup you're going to have! I think you're making a fine choice on both products. The one thing that I would consider adding to your table saw is the 7' rails for the fence system. If you're going to be using sheet goods at all, you'll want the extra ripping capacity.

Setting up your table saw when you get home with it, is pretty simple. I've got a video on my website that takes you through checking the arbor for run out, lining up the blade parallel to the miter slot, and lining up the fence parallel with the miter slot.

I have a contractor saw (one of these days, I too hope to be bringing home a cabinet saw) so some of the stuff in the video won't apply to you. But the things mention above are the things to check out anyway. You can view the video here:

http://www.woodworkersresource.com/video-blog/tlc-for-your-table-saw/

Have a great time using your new tools!

-Craig

Rick Moyer
02-05-2008, 8:45 AM
Two good choices. Everytime I go to Grizzly (Muncy) I covet the 1023 saw. I opted for the 0586 jointer at the time mainly because of price. I am very happy with it. You can make a cross-cut/panel sled if you don't have one now. I would consider an aftermarket miter gauge, but you will have to decide which one for yourself and you can do that later. I don't know if I would go for the router ext. if space is a big concern, but I don't have an informed opinion. I use a BenchDog benchtop model and it does well for me. Plop it onto the workbench when needed and tuck it away when not. I don't have any extra room around my saw for extensions. You can also make your own outfeed table, or purchase the roller set-up (Grizzly has those). My 2 cents.

Don Bullock
02-05-2008, 9:32 AM
This is a first post as I am new to forum.
Welcome to the "Creek."

I am just beginning to really get into woodworking and am going to Grizzly soon(4 days!) to pick up a TS 1023sl and jointer 0490 with spiral cutter.

Grizzly has good products for the price. By being able to pick them up, your deal will be even better. I have the G0490 and like it.

... Also, what would be some "priority" accessories (ie after market miter gauge, roller outfeed support, tenoning jig, etc.) that I should consider?

I know that I'm biased, but I don't think you can beat Incra for miter gauges. While you're at Grizzly picking up the machines you can pick up a tenoning jig if that's something you need. The one Grizzly has is just like most of the others and the price is lower.

I also thought the 1023slw might be worth considering as you get the router table extension for like $55. I have limited space for now and thought it might be a good start for that cheap.

The router table extension looks nice. Just make sure that the router or a lift you plan to put in it will fit. There seems to be no standard in the industry for router plates.

Make sure that you post pictures when you get your tools. Remember here at Sawmill Creek it didn't happen if you don't post pictures.

I hope that you enjoy woodworking as much as I do. Good luck with your purchases and again welcome.

Daniel McCurdy
02-05-2008, 9:57 AM
I don't know if I would go for the router ext. if space is a big concern, but I don't have an informed opinion.

Bill, like Rick, I can't say from direct experience because I don't own one of the router table extensions...but according to Grizzly's web site, there's only a +7 7/8" difference with the slw. (I'm not really sure why its wider when it looks like the same size rails for the fence?) So would seem to me that the only extra room you'd be taking up would be the room you'd need to now have the saw away from a wall to stand in front of the router plus the 7 7/8". A few feet should be plenty I would think.

Jim Becker
02-05-2008, 10:07 AM
Welcome to SMC!

Those sound like fine choices...but good luck getting out the Grizzly showroom with "just" those tools! LOL Candy store time... :D

Bill White
02-05-2008, 10:33 AM
I think your choices of equipment are excellent. I doubt if you will outgrow them or wear them out in this lifetime. The first accessory I would recommend is a cross cut sled for the tablesaw. You can buy them at considerable cost, but I think you can build a better one if you are careful and make it precise. I prefer it to my my Incra 1000se for 90 degree crosscutting.

Ditto what Art said. Though I don't have/need a cabinet saw, my Grizz G0444Z TS is all I could ask for. I did put the Incra 1000SE in play, and the prior owner of the TS had built a sled (thank you very much).
I'm a happy camper.
Bill

Bill Morgan
02-05-2008, 10:40 AM
Thanks a bunch for the input from everybody. Craig, I watched the video, but I'm not sure I understand checking the runout of the arbor very well. Could someone elaborate on runout a little more for me? Also, with the little understanding I do have of it, it seems like a fixed entity. So, how could you correct it? Is compensating with table adjustments the solution?
Also, I think the cap is just coming off of the truck so unloading will be drastically easier! I was thinking to leave it on in case of weather issues, but I've got a big tarp and tie downs and such. Only 3 days to wait now!
Bill

Peter Quinn
02-05-2008, 10:41 AM
I have a PM66 w/7' rails and router lift on out board side. Can't comment on grizzly saw but I like my griz powerfeed. For me the router in the out board table works great (came packaged with the machine on sale, sure glad it did!)

Really consider 7' rails if you use much plywood. Makes it a real work station, and a nice place to put my coffe in the morning! I built a set of infeed outfeed tables (10"X6') for the router that ride on the TS fence rails, lets me use the router as a mini moulder...have made small runs of 12'-14' mouldings this way! Also the outfeed extension for the router acts as an infeed support when ripping full sheets of plywood.

JDS accu-miter is bullet proof...plus its strong enough to change a car tire in a pinch. Kinda pricey for the ammount of use it gets though. Shop made sleds are the workhorses in my shop. Grizzly tennoning jig is nice, course there's a lot of ways to skin that particular cat.

Craig Stevens
02-05-2008, 11:55 AM
Bill - The reason for arbor run out is many times bad bearings, which is easy to replace. If it's not bearings, then the arbor would have to be replaced. On a new saw, neither should be an issue. However, mistakes are made during manufacturing, so if you can check everything out when you get your new saw home, and you do find something wrong, you'll have something to go back with to Grizzly and tell them the problem.

Better safe than sorry.

-Craig

Matt Day
02-05-2008, 12:04 PM
Just out of curiosity, do you have a planer? If you're plan to work with rough sawn lumber, it's a must have!

Good choices too, I'm jealous of your trip to the man-store!

Bill Morgan
02-05-2008, 3:07 PM
I do have a planer I just picked up before christmas. Got a great deal when the Dewalt rep was in our local Lowe's. Got a great price and some freebies thrown in that made it very affrordable. It's the 735 model.