PDA

View Full Version : Vector Cutting

Linda Butterfield
02-04-2008, 10:23 PM
I have some line art drawings that I would like to make into vector cuttings. I do not have these digitally, just paper copies.

Can anyone give me the steps to create a vector pattern?

I tried scanning and then changing into a bitmap and using the TRACE in Corel X3 but it just makes a double outline. I'm new to Corel so I'll need some specifics.

I also need these steps to be able to make templates for odd shaped items I'll be engraving.

Appreciate any lessons anyone is willing to share.:D

Linda

Robert Ray
02-04-2008, 11:29 PM
I found it is actually quicker for me to just to draw and drop nodes over the outline of the raster art than to deal with all the trace layers.

What I do is take a picture with my digital camera, and import into Corel.

Then I just draw right over the imported picture, and resize when done.

-Robert

Joe Pelonio
02-04-2008, 11:54 PM
I found it is actually quicker for me to just to draw and drop nodes over the outline of the raster art than to deal with all the trace layers.

What I do is take a picture with my digital camera, and import into Corel.

Then I just draw right over the imported picture, and resize when done.

-Robert
I do that some too, using the smartdraw tool. For making jigs, trace the outline of the shape on a piece of paper and scan. When you get that double line with Trace, you can do a contour between them, delete them both and clean up the contour for cutting. If you fill the objects first, using Corel Paint, you will get just the outline, and not the double lines. Those come from tracing lines.

Mark Simons
02-12-2008, 12:21 AM
Center line trace has returned in Corel Draw X4 which is great for tracing scanned sketches. It disappeared around Ver 11 but thankfully it's back.

Stephen Beckham
02-12-2008, 8:23 AM
It doesn't work everytime, but when I need a single line trace in X3, the first thing I start with it lowest detail possible. Obviously, the more detailed your artwork, the less of a usable result you get, but on simple projects like scanning from a scroll saw pattern....

I've only used it a couple times for this, but it seems to work okay - there may need to be some clean up, but hey - it's quicker than hand drawing in most cases.

Also - you might have to lower you number of colors.

Beyond that - Joe's technique of color fills helps. When you ungroup the parts, the color filled sections can be outlined as vectors.