PDA

View Full Version : Tablesaws at the Woodworking Shows

David Stoner
02-04-2008, 10:08 PM
I'm in the market for a hybrid tablesaw--probably the Jet Proshop JPS-10, the Steel City (the new one with a riving knife), the Grizzly G0478, or the Woodtek--and plan to attend the Woodworking Show in Chantilly, VA, in mid-March. I would like to order the saw before then, but I might be willing to wait until the show if I could get a good show price. Does anyone know which of these saws are being displayed at the shows and whether there are discounts for any of them?

Rob Watanabe
02-05-2008, 12:27 AM
I went to a Woodworking show up here in Canada last year and bought my Steel City hybrid from a SC sales rep and got a good deal (don't we all think we got a good deal :) ) All the manufacturers that were there were selling off their display models at a discount. I went on the first day and was talking with the rep and offered $200 off for the display model. SC usually has some sort of rebate. The saw I bought (35601) it's $100. I didn't decide to buy it until the next day but by then they already sold the unit. So I asked the SC rep if he would give me the $100 rebate plus a mobile base, dado set and insert instead. He agreed so I was happy. I also bought a General International 14" drill press display model for a good price. So you could find some deals if you're willing to haggle but I would go on the first day of the show as they sell pretty fast. At least at the one I attended.

Craig Stevens
02-05-2008, 3:49 AM
I just got back from the Atlanta Woodworking Show a couple of weeks ago. Grizzly didn't have a booth there nor did Steel City. I would go the the Woodworking Show website and email them and ask if the vendors you're looking for will be there.

You can definitely get a good deal on display models (sometimes even reconditioned tools as well). Just like what was said before, you have to haggle some. Get a firm price in mind that you're willing to pay and stick to it. Know when to walk away, it's easy to get caught up in the frenzy of the moment.

-Craig

Wayne Cannon
02-05-2008, 4:23 AM
"The Woodworking Shows" changed hands this year and didn't really have their act together when they came to San Mateo, CA. None of the major table saw manufacturers where there. Hopefully, they will get their act together, but just be warned.

scott spencer
02-05-2008, 7:31 AM
A few years ago a friend bought an MM16 bandsaw at a show. He had arranged the deal ahead of time with Minimax. He got a good deal plus a break on shipping. If you know which model you want, you might try contacting them ahead of time and working out the deal in advance.

Mike Gabbay
02-05-2008, 8:53 AM
I'm in the market for a hybrid tablesaw--probably the Jet Proshop JPS-10, the Steel City (the new one with a riving knife), the Grizzly G0478, or the Woodtek--and plan to attend the Woodworking Show in Chantilly, VA, in mid-March. I would like to order the saw before then, but I might be willing to wait until the show if I could get a good show price. Does anyone know which of these saws are being displayed at the shows and whether there are discounts for any of them?

David - I go to the same show. I recall that Skarie in Baltimore is there as is Fries, Beal and Sharp. You might want to give them a call to see what they are bringing. Or better yet, see if they have them on display and ask for a show price now.

Jim Becker
02-05-2008, 10:17 AM
In the many years of shows I have attended, there was very little opportunity for "great deals" on most of the major power tools outside of a local dealer having a show special or with the industrial brands like MM and Laguna who routinely have show specials that you can pre-purchase for delivery at the show or after paying shipping if delivered afterward. There isn't that much margin to begin with and "normal" competition with online resellers keeps prices down, anyway.

Robert Goodwin
02-05-2008, 11:04 AM
"The Woodworking Shows" changed hands this year and didn't really have their act together when they came to San Mateo, CA. None of the major table saw manufacturers where there. Hopefully, they will get their act together, but just be warned.

I saw all of the vendors in about 10 minutes. If it was not for the demos, it would have been a complete waste of time. I was pretty bummed until I heard about the change of hands and the scrambling they had to do just to have the show. Hopefully next year it will get better.

-Rob