PDA

View Full Version : Chisel-mania

John Hollaway
02-04-2008, 9:55 PM
I just acquired a slew of old chisels that need LOTS of attention. The grinding with my bench grinder and the sharpening with my waterstones is no problem. However, just the thought of flattening all of the backs by hand already has my arms feeling sore. I don't want to spend a boatload of money to buy a power sharpener, but I would spent some on a tool to help me with the backs. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Loren Hedahl
02-04-2008, 10:06 PM
You could invest in a Tormek or Tormek knock-off.

Several years ago I found myself the recipient of a large box full of twist drills. I then bought a Drill Doctor and haven't needed to buy another twist drill since.

Gary Keedwell
02-04-2008, 10:14 PM
I just acquired a slew of old chisels that need LOTS of attention. The grinding with my bench grinder and the sharpening with my waterstones is no problem. However, just the thought of flattening all of the backs by hand already has my arms feeling sore. I don't want to spend a boatload of money to buy a power sharpener, but I would spent some on a tool to help me with the backs. Any suggestions? Thanks.
There's a neat machine everybody's having good luck with...can't remember the name but "3000" is part of it and it only cost $200. Alot cheaper then the Tormek.
Gary

Rick Thom
02-04-2008, 10:33 PM
There's a neat machine everybody's having good luck with...can't remember the name but "3000" is part of it and it only cost $200. Alot cheaper then the Tormek.
Gary
Work Sharp 3000. http://www.worksharptools.com/product.asp?specific=137

Bill Huber
02-04-2008, 10:38 PM
John, it looks like you have everything you need to do the sharpening but flatting the backs.

I just bought a Work Sharp WS2000, $99. It is really great for that type of work but I don't see why you can't just cut a 3/4, 6 inch circle of MDF, put a bolt in it and put it in the drill press or drill clamped in a vice.

I cut one and put it on the WS200 and it works just fine, I put 6 in. sticky back sanding disk on it and flattened some old chisels.

Rick Thom
02-04-2008, 10:52 PM
Here's another alternative that works quite well for @ $20. A simple jig to make that uses a drill press to power it. This is from Shop Notes back in 2002. The grinding angle can be adjusted. The disk is double layer of BB plywood. The abrasive I am using is adhesive-backed 220 grit. Top of disk has full hide tanned leather to strop.. inner core is smooth side, outer is rough side.

Wayne Cannon
02-05-2008, 4:30 AM
Just be VERY careful to not round over one side of the back. It's soooo easy to do on any power grinder. I thought I was being careful on my Tormek (side of wheel using jig), but I just finished re-flattening them on water stones last week, and could easily see my round-over on about a third of my chisels. It took a lot of strokes on a coarse diamond "stone" to get them flat again.

James K Peterson
02-05-2008, 6:38 AM
Just be VERY careful to not round over one side of the back. [snip] It took a lot of strokes on a coarse diamond "stone" to get them flat again.

I'm with Wayne, if you can afford to get one, a coarse or extra coarse diamond stone is great for the backs (at least initially) and you can use them to flatten your water/oil stones too :)