PDA

View Full Version : Jet slow grinder

Eddie Simmons
02-04-2008, 7:56 PM
Brought a jet slow grinder today, got home set it up and watched the DVD. Then messed up my skew chisel. Looks like a steep learning curve for a newbie.:( Any suggestion would be a great help. I have all the jigs that I need to do the job. May not have the patience it takes.
Thanks
Eddie

Bruce Shiverdecker
02-04-2008, 9:16 PM
You say that you have ALL the jigs. Which ones?

I bought the Wolverine set-up. With the Skew adder, placing the handle in the left or right side socket so that the cutting edge is perpendicular to the face of the wheel and alternate sides to keep the cutting edge in the middle, you should be ok. Prior to grinding, it's always a good idea to use a magic marker on the bevel, so you can tell if you are on the same angle, every time.

Bruce

John Shuk
02-04-2008, 9:23 PM
Bruce,
I think he means that he has the Tormek knockoff grinder. The jigs on that are quite different than the wolverine. Unfortunately I can't help since I haven't sprung for one of those type sharpeners YET.

David Walser
02-05-2008, 12:49 AM
Brought a jet slow grinder today, got home set it up and watched the DVD. Then messed up my skew chisel. Looks like a steep learning curve for a newbie.:( Any suggestion would be a great help. I have all the jigs that I need to do the job. May not have the patience it takes.
Thanks
Eddie

Eddie, go to your favorite Tormek retailer and buy Tormek's "Woodturner's Instruction Box" (TNT-300). The "box" contains a DVD by Jeff Farris showing how to sharpen virtually any turning tool you might have. In addition, the box includes a 41 page manual showing how all the jigs included in Tormek's Woodturner's Kit (TNT-708) are used. The few tools not covered by Jeff in the DVD are discussed in the manual. I got my copy of the box today and watched the DVD tonight. Well worth the $25 it cost. In addition to showing how to sharpen, Jeff makes a number of practical suggestions and even provides some turning tips.

Here's a link to Jeff's online store. I assume he'd be willing the sell the TNT-300 to a Jet owner. If not, you can find it elsewhere...

http://www.sharptoolsusa.com/shop/?page=shop/browse&category_id=5514005b6a0e6cca7e0100fd4f6dceb8&ps_session=5fcff927f2201a76b992aeea5033348e

Bruce Shiverdecker
02-05-2008, 2:41 AM
Sorry Eddie..........................Didn't pick up on the Tormak style grinder. Never tried to do turning tools on one of those.

Bruce

Ron Drew
02-05-2008, 7:16 AM
Hi Eddie. I found the Tormek to be great on certain tools, like my gouges, but very poor sharpening others like the skew chisel. Even if you get the set up just right, it takes a long time to grind a big surface. I finally bought a Delta grinder for the chisels, scrapers and especially the 1/4" parting tool.

Eddie Simmons
02-05-2008, 7:18 AM
Thanks for the info, will try this evening.:)
Eddie

Eddie Simmons
02-05-2008, 6:37 PM
Was able to sharpen my gouges and parting tool tonight. I think that with some time and working with the different jigs, I