PDA

View Full Version : Pricing used equipment

Jamie Smith
02-04-2008, 7:55 PM
Hi all-

Is there a good place for pricing out used equipment?

I have a powermatic 54a that gathers a lot more dust than it generates which I am considering selling (note that this is not yet an offer to sell, if/when that time comes, I will post it to the classified section).

It is about 4 years old, on a powermatic mobile base. It has the original knives, in excellent condition (I never really figured out how to use it).

Thanks,

-jamie

Jim Becker
02-04-2008, 7:58 PM
Typical starting point for used gear is 50% of new with an increase for very nice condition and a decrease for major wear and tear. If your machine is as described, you can probably ask 60-75% of new without feeling, umm...guilty. :) PM equipment generally holds its value better, too, especially in the home shop environment.

James Hart
02-04-2008, 8:20 PM
You could go on Ebay and search completed auctions to see what similar tools sold for. Pay attention to the effect of shipping vs local only. Typically things sell for less if the seller refuses to ship.

Jim

Jim Becker
02-05-2008, 10:33 AM
The one danger with using EBAY as a reference is that some folks tend to, umm...get a bit excited...and will sometimes pay nearly the same as new...and sometimes MORE than new after shipping.

Jamie Smith
02-05-2008, 11:24 AM
You could go on Ebay and search completed auctions to see what similar tools sold for. Pay attention to the effect of shipping vs local only. Typically things sell for less if the seller refuses to ship.

Jim

I did try this, but didn't find enough points of reference for this model (just one, in fact, with no past prices).

Jim Thiel
02-05-2008, 4:22 PM
I would suggest you first buy some stock and use her a bit. OK alot. Run the dickens out of it. Once you get the feel for a nice machine doing its job you may be more hesitant to unload it, unless you need a larger one.

(my rant over, we return to regularly scheduled programming)

As Jim suggested, 50-60% of new for the machine, 60-75% for the base, depending on how the wheels roll and lock. I hope you keep it.

Jim