PDA

View Full Version : Bridge City Planes

Jerry Thompson
02-04-2008, 7:40 PM
I have seen ads for Bridge City planes. I went to their web site and looked them over. I doubt I will ever be a customer, however, I do not recall anyone every talking about them.
Would someone who owns one or knows about them please opine?
Jerry

dan grant
02-04-2008, 8:49 PM
i have three of them, ct 10 11 12, the ct 11 is a little long for a smoother, the ct 12 is a nice all around bench plane, i bought the blemished one still cant find a mark on it i enjoy using them more then LN and LV, i can get finer shavings with BC i do think they are to pretty for a bench plane:) dan

Doug Shepard
02-04-2008, 8:59 PM
I've got a number of their other tools but only one plane - the little HP5. I got a fair bit of use with it recently on some purpleheart and it really is a sweet plane. It's kind of hard too find something that small with the adjustability of a full size plane but they managed to fit it in.

Michael Gibbons
02-05-2008, 11:53 AM
I think the price for their tools are out of reach for alll but the richest of tool snobs. There are those here who think LN is too expensive and will settle for a refurbished flea market find. Others like me won't spend time to refurbish and the cheap Groz and such planes aren't good enough so we go to LN. If I remember correctly ,I could buy 3 LA block planes from LN for the price of a Bridge City and send the other two to some of my friends here on the 'Creek :D

David Tiell
02-05-2008, 12:13 PM
I think the price for their tools are out of reach for alll but the richest of tool snobs. There are those here who think LN is too expensive and will settle for a refurbished flea market find. Others like me won't spend time to refurbish and the cheap Groz and such planes aren't good enough so we go to LN. If I remember correctly ,I could buy 3 LA block planes from LN for the price of a Bridge City and send the other two to some of my friends here on the 'Creek :D
It's all personal preference. Have you ever used of handled any BCTW tools? I am by no means rich, nor a tool snob. I have bought most of my BCTW tools on clearance or through their blemished tool sales. BUT, I do like the way Bridge City tools feel in my hand while working, and knowing I can depend on them being accurate. The fact that they are real purty is a bonus. But, as I said, it's personal preference.

Lee Hingle
02-05-2008, 10:20 PM
I think the price for their tools are out of reach for alll but the richest of tool snobs.

Please define tool snob, Michael. Just so we all know. I think spending one's hard earned money on something that works immesurably well and is beautiful to boot has been going on about as long as Mercedes Benz has been in business.

For example, I drive a Kia Sephia. If you drive a luxury car, or a $45,000 8mpg gas-guzzling SUV - does that make you a car snob?

Lee, a self-proclaimed tool snob (and broke as well, but not sad in the least)

Bob Malone
02-05-2008, 11:16 PM
That is some seriously fine looking hand tools!

Marcus Ward
02-05-2008, 11:19 PM
Some guys do this because they love tools. Some guys do this because they like to make things with those tools. Different motivations and different attitudes towards the tools. Nothing wrong with that.

Steve Rozmiarek
02-06-2008, 1:55 AM
Hey Lee, I'm no Bridge City expert, but I think that left plane is a Brese smoother;) not a BC. What is the other? Nice tools.

Thomas Kila
02-06-2008, 3:28 AM
I believe the plane on the right is a Marcou. And a beautiful one at that.

James Nolan
02-06-2008, 6:52 AM
I have a pedigree German Shepherd, my one and only true friend, she was expensive, so?, am I a dog snob.............use what you enjoy using, my dog just knows she is a dog, wood is just wood, tools are just tools, wood will never know the name or cost of the tool you are working with. When will you guys get it, it is all about the wood and the results that can be obtained with the method and SKILL you put forth into your craft. It just seems that $ fogs the underlying truth. (Guess I'm just in a crappy mood). Ciao......

Ron Dunn
02-06-2008, 6:56 AM
I'd like to learn more about Bridge City - I have one of their dovetail markers I bought over ten years ago - but they have such an awful web site I just can't be bothered wading through all the HTMasturbation :(

Gary Herrmann
02-06-2008, 8:01 AM
Tool snobs. Are we tool snobs because we like to work with hand tools rather than using only power tools? Hmm...

Doug Shepard
02-06-2008, 8:06 AM
I suspect this argument has been going on since Ogg traded 3 pelts for that sweet looking piece of obsidian. Then Nogook got on his case about it because for the same 3 pelts, he got a lesser piece of obsidian, a dandy piece of flint, and some red ocher.:D

Randy Klein
02-06-2008, 8:08 AM
I suspect this argument has been going on since Ogg traded 3 pelts for that sweet looking piece of obsidian. Then Nogook got on his case about it because for the same 3 pelts, he got a lesser piece of obsidian, a dandy piece of flint, and some red ocher.:D

True, but what do you think that sweet piece of obsidian is worth today? :D

Doug Shepard
02-06-2008, 8:27 AM
True, but what do you think that sweet piece of obsidian is worth today? :D

Probably getting 18 pelts on eBay by now.

Thomas Knighton
02-06-2008, 8:34 AM

Don't knock the flint man! I've had great results with well-tuned flint :D

Tom
Home town located on the Flint River ;)

Michael Gibbons
02-06-2008, 9:59 AM
Please define tool snob, Michael. Just so we all know. I think spending one's hard earned money on something that works immesurably well and is beautiful to boot has been going on about as long as Mercedes Benz has been in business.

For example, I drive a Kia Sephia. If you drive a luxury car, or a $45,000 8mpg gas-guzzling SUV - does that make you a car snob?

Lee, a self-proclaimed tool snob (and broke as well, but not sad in the least) Sorry Lee, Didn't mean to offend. I have a minimum standard when it comes to just about everything and in this case LN fits the bill. I don't have the drive to fettle planes so I buy new and the current production offerings from Stanley and Groz don't quite cut it. As far as Bridge City goes, those tools better be able to do things for me that I can't disscuss here for the prices they are asking. I think there is a point of diminished returns. Do they really cut that much better? 4 times the price of an LN's worth? I think the ability of a plane to cut well has everything to do with the manner in which it's blade is sharpened. I drive a Ford Focus wagon. If I had unlimited funds, yes, I'd buy a Ferrari. Only because it's cool, not because I'm a snob. This thread started out asking why nobody talks about Bridge City tools. I'd wager that nobody talks about them 'cause nobody has them. No practical experience with them. Too expensive for the average member here on the Creek. LN's are more affordable and still an excellent tool and like another member said earlier, BC's website is a pain to navigate. I think a tool snob is someone who buys the most expensive of everything based on his/her beliefs and budgets, tools most of us would drool over. Would I be a tool snob if I bought one of those Timesaver wide belt sanders like Norm has? To most, probably yes. Could I get away with a Performax or a Powermatic? Sure. By the way Lee, How much did those two planes you pictured cost you anyways?

Wilbur Pan
02-06-2008, 10:42 AM
As far as Bridge City goes, those tools better be able to do things for me that I can't disscuss here for the prices they are asking. I think there is a point of diminished returns. Do they really cut that much better?

I don't have any Bridge City tools, but you may be interested to see this article which mentions how a Bridge City saw won an impromptu sawing contest at a Lie-Nielsen event (http://www.popularwoodworking.com/techniquearticle?id=14853).

Lee Hingle
02-06-2008, 7:08 PM
Hi Steve,
You are correct, neither of those are bridge city planes. Brese 800-225 on the left and Marcou S20A on the right. And the chisels are Blue Spruce with some instrument grade curly Koa I sent Dave Jeske for the handles.

These are probably the nicest tools I own. I do have several Lie Nielsens and even a stanley or 2, but I don't care to use the stanley's as I don't feel I have them tuned as well as they could be.

Cheers,
Lee

David Tiell
02-06-2008, 7:09 PM
This thread started out asking why nobody talks about Bridge City tools. I'd wager that nobody talks about them 'cause nobody has them. No practical experience with them. Too expensive for the average member here on the Creek.

Michael,
Again, I beg to differ with your agrument here. The question was shy nobody talks about BCTW PLANES, not the rest of their tool line. While the tools certainly are not cheap, they are also not something only the richest can afford. I bought my first BCTW tools as a lowly enlisted man in the Marine Corps, and as anybody who has ever been in the military knows, enlisted and rich do not really go together. I now own probably $2000 worth of their tools. But they are quality tools that I like and buy when I can. And for those that may not know, they don't sell just $750 planes. They sell quite a few different squares, miter squares, marking guages, Japanese saws, and other things. Again, not cheap at $70 and up for a square, but quality tools.

David Tiell
02-06-2008, 7:14 PM
By the way, as much as I am defending them, I suppose I should throw in the disclaimer that I am in no way afiliated with them other than as a very satisfied customer. One of the posters they used to sell had a quote across the bottom that said "Quality is Contagious". As any LN, LV, or other high quality tool owner can tell you, it's very true. You get quality that makes you want more of their quality tools.

Lee Hingle
02-06-2008, 7:30 PM
Hi Michael,
No worries here, I'm not offended in the least. I agree with you on some of your points. LN does fit the bill in most cases, and I have two of their planes. Could I have gotten a smoother cheaper than what I paid for these two? Absolutely. Can't argue that. However, both of these planes give me so much joy when I use them (and I do use them - every chance I get) that they were worth every penny and then some. And the personal relationship I have with the builders is beyond compare -and while Thomas Lie Nielsen is friendly and approachable, this is a bit different.

As for what I paid, I will refrain from posting that, because in my opinion, that would be a bit snobby. The respective price for each plane is listed on the maker's website (breseplane.com and marcouplanes.com). I will add that I make my living working wood and have a meager income - these were an indulgence that I worked to save for - not a "whim" purchase. I am certainly not a tool collector.

I will also add that more often than not people who cannot afford (or will not allow themselves to spend the money on) a high quality tool will dismiss them as an unnecessary or extravagant purchase. I feel that it's up to each person to decide whether or not that expenditure will add to their quality of work or their pleasure in doing that work. I would never dismiss someone as a snob because they spent their money on something I chose not to.

Lee

Marcus Ward
02-06-2008, 7:32 PM
You get quality that makes you want more of their quality tools.

Boy, that's the truth! I must own ~30 vintage stanley of various makes and probably 10 disston saws!

David Tiell
02-06-2008, 7:43 PM
Boy, that's the truth! I must own ~30 vintage stanley of various makes and probably 10 disston saws!
I'm starting to feel your pain, having recently bought about a dozen nice Stanley and Bedrock planes. I think I have all I NEED, but I WANT more!:D

Marcus Ward
02-06-2008, 8:23 PM
I will also add that more often than not people who cannot afford (or will not allow themselves to spend the money on) a high quality tool will dismiss them as an unnecessary or extravagant purchase.

More often than not, when someone overspends on something and subconsciously realizes what they bought isn't worth what they paid, they'll overcompensate by regarding the item positively in excess of what it merits in order to avoid cognitive dissonance.

I am sure that's not what happens on Sawmill Creek, just other places, like when buying cars. I was just pointing out that situation. Not about anyone here, seriously.

It's pretty awesome you make your living working wood. Was it a hobby before you started making a living at it, and has doing it as a job diminished your enjoyment of it at all? Do you consider yourself an artist who doesn't compromise (easier on the psyche, I think, since you can avoid situations that will cause you to hate what you do) or do you build whatever they're paying for, and just do the best you can and try to enjoy it? Or some other third option? Photography was a hobby and then a career for me and doing that killed it, I only take photos these days with my phone.

Doug Shepard
02-06-2008, 8:37 PM
... They sell quite a few different squares, miter squares, marking guages, Japanese saws, and other things. Again, not cheap at $70 and up for a square, but quality tools.

Not to derail the thread, but have you noticed that they no longer have any of the adjustable wood/metal squares listed on their site? Bummer as I had one on my wish list for quite a while. That's one very annoying aspect of the way they do things - the very short production runs on stoff.

David Tiell
02-06-2008, 9:15 PM
Not to derail the thread, but have you noticed that they no longer have any of the adjustable wood/metal squares listed on their site? Bummer as I had one on my wish list for quite a while. That's one very annoying aspect of the way they do things - the very short production runs on stoff.
Yeah, I saw that on their site today. I actually called them about that sort of issue earlier today. And while I was on the phone with them, I was told they are aware their site is "troublesome", and for that reason, they have been working on a new site which should be up in "a couple weeks". They have taken off anything they don't currently have in stock. And I agree about the frustration of the short production runs.

Lee Hingle
02-06-2008, 10:50 PM
More often than not, when someone overspends on something and subconsciously realizes what they bought isn't worth what they paid, they'll overcompensate by regarding the item positively in excess of what it merits in order to avoid cognitive dissonance.

I am sure that's not what happens on Sawmill Creek, just other places, like when buying cars. I was just pointing out that situation. Not about anyone here, seriously.

It's pretty awesome you make your living working wood. Was it a hobby before you started making a living at it, and has doing it as a job diminished your enjoyment of it at all? Do you consider yourself an artist who doesn't compromise (easier on the psyche, I think, since you can avoid situations that will cause you to hate what you do) or do you build whatever they're paying for, and just do the best you can and try to enjoy it? Or some other third option? Photography was a hobby and then a career for me and doing that killed it, I only take photos these days with my phone.

Hi Marcus,
As for overcompensating, I hope that my comments were not taken that way. Like I said, it's up to each person to decide if the purchase is right for them.

As for making a living working wood, about 80% of what I do is kitchen cabinets. Of the remaining 20%, half is bread and butter type stuff and the other half is furniture commissions. I find it is easier to get someone to commit to $15,000 worth of new cabinets than it is to have them spend $2000 on a custom dining table.

This did in fact start out as a hobby in 1993 or so, building things for around the house and furniture for friends and family. I left the printing industry after almost 20 years to pursue this over two years ago. Has doing woodwork for a living diminished my enjoyment? Not exactly, but the paying jobs take precedence over my own stuff and so the only downfall is not having the time to work on the projects I would really like to. Do I compromise? Unfortunately, yes. I think you have to - to some degree - if you want to be sucessful or even just pay the bills. However, that doesn't mean taking every job no matter what. I pick and choose my jobs just like I pick and choose my customers. Makes for a lot less stress at the end of the week.

Not sure if this answered any of your questions or if I am just rambling....

Lee

Wilbur Pan
02-06-2008, 11:01 PM

One thing to keep in mind when discussing the relative merits of inexpensive vs. high end tools: try substituting the terms "Ikea furniture" and "solid cherry furniture made with real dovetails and mortise and tenon joinery" in the appropriate spots, and see what side of the argument you come down on.

Marcus Ward
02-06-2008, 11:41 PM
Not rambling at all, thanks for the insight, I appreciate it. One always wonders about someone actually doing it commercially from a hobby. I'm afraid I can't separate the two so when I turn hobbies into jobs they become chores and I don't like them anymore. :\ My wife gets a lot of free furniture out of the deal though.

Wilbuer, tools and furniture are different things that serve different purposes. Comparing stanley to ikea isn't exactly a fair comparison, but point taken. I have nothing against nice tools, I just want the more affordable tools to get some billing around here, that's all. :)

Michael Gibbons
02-08-2008, 2:22 AM
Lee, I know I'm kicking a dead horse but the thread was, as someone reminded me, about Bridge City planes. I would bet a dollar to someones dime that the number of active posting Creekers that buy and use planes, less than 10% have BC planes and that estimate is high to me. Probably more like 5%. They are just too much money. IMHO. As long as you think that you did the right thing then that is all that matters. I personally have never handled a BC, but those snazzy pics that Fine Woodworking took of the BC when they did the comparison story on block planes sure made it look purdy.