PDA

View Full Version : Creating Silhouettes

Stephen Beckham
02-04-2008, 5:47 PM
Any thoughts or ideas on the easiest way of taking a photo and making it into a vectored silhouette?

Will converting the picture to a Vector image (vector magic or other automated site etc...) then filling it black work?

Here's the end result if I can get the silhouette... Obviously this is one of Abe - it was easy to convert because it was already a silhouette, I just traced it.

Thanks,

Joe Pelonio
02-04-2008, 6:12 PM
You don't need to fill it if you are just cutting it, all you need is the outline. Yes, either use corel trace or vector magic or hand trace it with the smartdraw tool.

Mike Null
02-04-2008, 9:11 PM
Steve

Great idea!
Very nice work. I like your solution for mounting the acrylic. Routed?

Frank Corker
02-04-2008, 9:21 PM
Bright light. Subject. White sheet. Camera. Or take the photograph against a white background and then in your art package select the background, invert and delete the subject with a black base.

Stephen Beckham
02-04-2008, 10:49 PM
Joe - that'll be easy enough I'll give it a shot...

Mike - yea, simple plunge bit - they were left overs from some other project that a fella gave me... I'm bummin' all kinds of stuff. Heck the acrylic was toss as well - only 7" tall and the guy said it was too small to do anything with...

Frank - never thought about the invert tool.

Thanks guys - I'm just drummin up work to keep me busy...

Darren Null
02-08-2008, 4:33 PM
...Or stand your subject up against a white wall/bedsheet and light the background. Then photo it (with no flash).