PDA

View Full Version : New MM 16

William Addison
02-04-2008, 5:24 PM
I took delivery of the saw last Thursday and after upgrading my power from 20 t0 30 Amps on Friday started assembling the saw Saturday. These are my initial impressions.

From order to delivery was only about four days which is excellent. The saw had somewhat disassembled itself during shipment and the footpedal and knob for the shroud on the lower door fell out on my driveway. The lower guides and foot pedal screws were loose in the lower compartment but were at least they were there.

Calling the documentation that came with the saw a manual is a kindness. It's worse than useless because I tried to use it to reinstall the lower guides and worked for at least an hour before deciding the manual had to be wrong-which it was. I normally like to look at the manual online when I am ordering a tool but Minimax doesn't have theirs posted, probably because they're ashamed of it. I suggested to them that they plagarize the Griz 636 manual because it's both online and good.

The fence was slightly out of square to the table which is important for resawing but the fix was easy. I took the fence off the base which clamps it to the rail and sanded the paint off and filed the burrs from around the two holes in it and all was fine.

Next problems(s) was the blade guard. That thing is an abomination, it's not painted and since I live on the South Gulf Coast of Texas in a subtropical climate, no matter what I do it's going to rust. I had to take it off the saw three times to get it to telescope properly and then I discovered it is cleverly designed to prevent the thrust bearing from getting closer than about 3/8 inch to the blade. Tech support said I'd need to notch the guard which I did ,but I'm not thrilled about paying that much money for a machine that needed so much work.

I had seen and used a MM16 that belongs to a friend but I really did think about the 636 and only the fact that I couldn't see one kept me from ordering it. If the Grizz saw is as much better than the MM16 as the manuals are, I likely made a mistake.

All that being said, the MiniMax is extremely powerful and a very nicely finished machine but it appears that they don't bother to do a final QC check.

Steven Wilson
02-04-2008, 6:01 PM
Welcome to the world of industrial machinery :) . Go out to the minimax users group site on yahoo and download a much better manual (one written by users). As for the telescoping guard, the one on my MM20 has some sort of coating (like galvenized) and it doesn't rust. If you're that concerned then get a can of Amsoil Heavy Duty metal protectant and spray some on it. Or take it off and paint it.

William Addison
02-04-2008, 7:17 PM
Thank you for your welcome to the world of industrial machinery but you're twenty five years late. I'm amazed you consider a sixteen inch saw "industrial."

I thought about painting the guard but the paint would keep it from operating and would scrape off in short order. The one MM saw I've seen has a very rusty guard and it's in an air conditioned shop which mine is not. I'm pretty good at rust prevention since I only live about a half mile from salt water and I've found the Amsoil to be about useless compared to other products.

The MM16 costs too much to arrive in the condition it arrived in and and with the documentation it has. The industrial label is a crutch for poor QC.

You are correct about the manual on the MM website but it is for an earlier model saw and doesn't cover the changes at all.

Doug Shepard
02-04-2008, 7:59 PM
Calling the documentation that came with the saw a manual is a kindness. It's worse than useless ....

You're being way too kind. Great saw but the documentation sucks.

Joe Mioux
02-04-2008, 9:34 PM
I don't live near salt water, but i have never touched the blade guard with rust preventative chemicals.... the table and fence YEAH!, but not the blade guard.

My mm16 lives right next to my garage door, so it gets its share of water splatters from the rain and other things (KiDS!)

There are alot of MM16 owners here at SMC, and i haven't seen anyone have a problem with the blade guard rusting. Im not saying it doesn't happen, just that I haven't read any complaining about it happening.

I hope your MM16 purchase is a good one for you

Joe

Steve Rozmiarek
02-04-2008, 9:56 PM
William, curious as to your thoughs on this saw after you cool down a bit. I strongly considered it, then bought an old 36" Oliver. Looked to me to be a great saw. Keep us posted.

William Addison
02-04-2008, 10:57 PM
William, curious as to your thoughs on this saw after you cool down a bit. I strongly considered it, then bought an old 36" Oliver. Looked to me to be a great saw. Keep us posted.

I've been using an old Delta 14 inch and a monster Tannewitz in my friends mill so I'm accustomed to whatever and I do believe that the MM is going to be good but I think the QC should have been better than it was.