PDA

View Full Version : Baltic Birch

Brian J Rogalny
02-04-2008, 5:21 PM
Where is everybody buying their baltic birch, I was quoted a price today that I thought was high, from atlantic plywood. 5'x5' $16.00.They said that there was a problem in Russia and the prices went up.

Cary Fleming
02-04-2008, 5:59 PM
I'd love to be able to find it for $16 a sheet. I can't even find full sheets in the DFW metroplex.

Al Popowski
02-04-2008, 6:04 PM
I buy 12 x 12" Baltic Birch from Hawk, the last supply I paid $.97, I usally buy 100 to 200 sheets at a time. They make the scroll saws. I use if for lasering and scroll saw work.

Gary Shoemake
02-04-2008, 11:12 PM
I use www.memphishardwoodlumbers.com (http://www.memphishardwoodlumbers.com) 1.99 for a 12 x30"

Doug Bergstrom
02-05-2008, 8:10 AM
call some cabinet makers and see where they are buying their lumber. We have found prices here to be all over the place but we can usually get it for about 9.00 a sheet and less in quantity.

Phil Sanders
02-05-2008, 8:48 AM
Don't forget the LARGE drop in the US dollar in foreign trade over the last 8 months or so.

I thought I saw where even the US dollar to the Canadian dollar has changes something like a US Quarter per dollar. A while ago a CDN dollar was something like 78 cents to a US Dollar. Now it's about even (99 cents)

Compared to the Euro, the price change you are talking about, be about right.

Phil

Scott Shepherd
02-05-2008, 9:11 AM
I bought it from Atlantic Plywood late summer and paid about $16 a sheet for it then, sounds like the price is about the same as it was back then.

Anthony Welch
02-05-2008, 9:22 AM
My first order was $21/sheet for 40 sheets. I've got an order in for 130 sheets @ $19/sheet. I can't find it any cheaper, but when I do, they don't ship to Mississippi. I'm getting mine out of Los Angeles, CA.

James Rambo
02-05-2008, 6:16 PM
The price has gone up since the last time I ordered from them but you can try the kencraft company out of Toledo, Ohio. kencraftcompany.com

Michael Kowalczyk
02-06-2008, 1:15 PM
Where is everybody buying their baltic birch, I was quoted a price today that I thought was high, from atlantic plywood. 5'x5' $16.00.They said that there was a problem in Russia and the prices went up.

Euro has gone up, USD$ down. Supply down, demand up. You kno whte routine.
I was told that when the Tundra doesn't freeze for 2 weeks solid they can not go into the forest to log for the winter harvest, which supplies the rest of the year with premium material. If they can only get the new growth at the edge or log when it is warmer the quality of stock goes down and they force the majority of the material to where they get the most profit. 3mm is not their main driving force, 12mm and 18mm is. Chinese product has tried to cover the shortage but can not compete unless you like potato chip looking sheets and inconsistent laser results.

Check out this link

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=68434

Hope this helps

Luke Phillips
02-19-2008, 7:42 AM
another source : www.woodworkerssource.net (http://www.woodworkerssource.net) - got 12 sheets of 20"x30" 1/8" for $45 with free shipping. good material and great customer service.

Mike Null
02-19-2008, 10:18 AM
I have purchased my 3mm from Mike Kowalcyk and been very pleased with it.

He is a member, just PM him.

Michael Kowalczyk
02-20-2008, 1:46 PM
I have purchased my 3mm from Mike Kowalcyk and been very pleased with it.

He is a member, just PM him.

Thanks Mike. I just spoke to someone who PM'd me and as we talked about doing the Laser Buzz tributes, I asked him if he had a stock honeycomb table and he said "No, I have the one from Mike at St Louis Laser". So it is nice to hear that when someone buys my 3mm Baltic Birch Plywood and it will be lasered on your grid that we are both helping other members. I use yours all the time for cutting out Ornaments, Tributes, and other promo items.

Just in case, since computers are exact, there needs to be a "z" between the c and the z in my last name.;)