PDA

View Full Version : Forrest Hi AT blade problems

Quinn McCarthy
02-04-2008, 4:54 PM
I have been having trouble getting my blade to cut anything well. When I first got it it was alright but it is getting worse over time. The first time I had it sharpened I had the place that does all of my sharpening do it. It worked about as well as when I sent it in. The second time I sent it to Forrest and it came back about the same. On both melamine and plywood it is blowing out the bottom of the cut. A few weeks ago I made sure my blade and fence were parrallel and it helped a tad. I am not using a stabizer.

Thanks in advance.

Quinn

Justin McCurdy
02-04-2008, 4:58 PM
You may have the blade too hish, or too low. I am not 100% positive without looking it up, but I think if you raise the blade too high it will cause blowout on the back of your work.

scott spencer
02-04-2008, 4:59 PM
Are you using a ZCI? If so, is it getting wider with use?

Scott Whiting
02-05-2008, 9:55 AM
Justin has the right idea. If it chips on the bottom lower the blade and if it chips on the top raise the blade. You will be surprised how low any Hi-Atb blade runs best. Don't be afraid to experiment, every material you use it on will have a unique sweet spot.

Quinn McCarthy
02-06-2008, 11:21 AM
Thanks for the suggestions.

I did play around a bit with height on the melamine but maybe I need to play some nmore.

Quinn

Jeffrey Makiel
02-06-2008, 1:02 PM
The Freud rep that's part of our membership stated that the blade should be 1/2 the tooth height above the cut...this was in regards to a Freud hi-ATB though.

My Freud blade yields chip free cuts on both sides of melamine without a zero clearance insert or blade stabilizers. I was pleasantly surprised. I'm guessing that the Forrest blade should too.

-Jeff :)