PDA

View Full Version : Has Anyone Ever Engraved Hockey Pucks?

Troy Cooper
02-04-2008, 2:19 PM
I just received a request from a client to laser engrave some logos and text directly on some hockey pucks (about 30) to use as commemorative awards for an event. They want each one to be personalized which is why silk screening or pad printing is not a viable option for them.

I believe that the hockey pucks are a vulcanized rubber which I assume is not much different that regular rubber and should be OK to laser engrave. Am I correct in my assumption?

I am also curious how acrylic paint might work for color filling the engraved text and logo. I would mask the puck before engraving and airbrush the acylic in. Does any know if acrylic paint will adhere to rubber?

Any insights would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Rob Bosworth
02-04-2008, 3:50 PM
Troy, they engrave very nicely. The color fill very nicely. The stink, but the engrave pretty well.

pete hagan
02-04-2008, 8:12 PM
Troy I would be interested in seeing the finished product.
Please post some images when you are successful and some detail please.

Good luck!

Ron Wiik
02-04-2008, 9:22 PM
Here is a puck I did a few years ago.

Brent Powers
02-05-2008, 12:58 AM
I don't suppose you're talking about trying to catch one with your teeth after someone fires it at you? I've successfully put some scratches on a puck in this manner, but I wouldn't recommend it, as it could possibly break your face(mask)

Anna Linn
02-05-2008, 9:44 AM
Ron, what did you use for color fill?

Ron Wiik
02-05-2008, 9:47 AM
Just some acrylic paint from a craft store, nothing special.

Troy Cooper
02-08-2008, 2:29 PM
Thank you for the information. I did some tests based on your feedback and the pucks do engrave nicely and I'm sure my neighbors love the smell of burning rubber as much as I do :eek:.

If I get a chance I will post a picture of a finished puck when they are done though it could be a couple weeks before I get to them.

Thanks again to everyone for your insights.

Anna Linn
02-08-2008, 2:38 PM
Yes, thank you! I tried a puck and it did just fine. It didn't smell as bad a the rubber for stamps or else I just didn't notice.