PDA

View Full Version : Jet TS cabinet

Craig D Peltier
02-04-2008, 12:19 PM
I was asked to post this. I needed more storage and felt this area was dead space. I wanted to be able to move the saw from time to time so the cabinet had to sit on skids. So when to hook into metal ring with roller wheel to lift saw the cabinet goes with it. One side of skid has a deeper cut into it for the varied height in the base since it overlaps where the joint is. One thing I wish I would have done is make it stick out closer to edge of saw.It's set back maybe 10 inches. I could only make it so big so the door could still open on the TS.
I left enough room on top for miter gauge etc.
The draws are pretty deep, like 9 inches. I also thought of making double sided draws so they opened on both sides but didint want to wait to order the slides. I store all mt TS stuff in top draw and stuff I dont use much in bottom.
I used scrap ply an red oak draw fronts. I also used shed door handles since they were big and easy to grab.

Don Abele
02-04-2008, 3:07 PM
Craig, I just did a sketch to build something very similar for my saw. I have an HTC mobile base with only the single bar down the middle, so I have to build-in supports front to back. Also. the single pivot wheel sticks up about 2 inches higher than the support bar. Thankfully though, I have the left tilt model so the motor cover is on the other side and I only need to leave enough room to crank the hand wheel.

BTW, is that dryer vent hose you are using on the dust port :eek:

Be well,

Doc

Craig D Peltier
02-04-2008, 7:06 PM
Craig, I just did a sketch to build something very similar for my saw. I have an HTC mobile base with only the single bar down the middle, so I have to build-in supports front to back. Also. the single pivot wheel sticks up about 2 inches higher than the support bar. Thankfully though, I have the left tilt model so the motor cover is on the other side and I only need to leave enough room to crank the hand wheel.

BTW, is that dryer vent hose you are using on the dust port :eek:

Be well,

Doc

yep it is dryer hose vent, I like the flexibility, I take it off alot and hook to drum sander and planer. I have to put duct tape after a while where it flexes alot cause it causes some small holes.
Ive replaced it once in 1 yr.

keith ouellette
02-04-2008, 7:25 PM
I am working on something very similar but a little larger. It is going to support my table extension and act as my router cabinet/ router table/ saw table extension. First i have to finish a mobile base for the whole thing.

Yours looks great. I currently have some shelves I built under my saw table but they are just a plywood box with some shelf compartments so i didn't bother showing it off.

dan mahler
02-05-2008, 7:18 AM
Craig, nice work and a great design. Its a good use of the space. Thanks for sharing.

Michael Ward
02-05-2008, 7:48 AM
I recently built this TS workstation as a Christmas present to myself....and the fact I had wanted to do something like this since the day I brought home the saw had alot to do with it to.

The original plans called for a router station on the extension side. Since I did not need one I made the extension, well, just an extension in anticipation of a larger capacity fence, like the INCRA TS-III.

The only thing I would have done differently is go from 4" casters to 6". This thing is heavy.

Michael

Andrew Close
02-05-2008, 8:54 PM
Michael,

nice extension table. do you have a cabinet saw or a contractor saw?

Michael Ward
02-06-2008, 3:10 PM
Thanks Andrew,

The saw is a Ridgid 3650....certainly not mobile as I think a contractors saw is (correct me if I'm wrong). I basically removed the factory legs and mounted on the left. There is a port at bottom left for dust collection.

Michael