PDA

View Full Version : Old Shellac

Wes Bischel
03-06-2004, 12:56 AM
I dusted off a can of amber shellac I had on the shelf and proceeded to seal some MDF for a machine base I'm making. I was about 3/4 the way through when the thought crossed my mind (interrupting the vast emptiness) "Gee, I wonder how old this shellac is?" Well, after 15 minutes looking the can over for the freshness date, I read the instructions - it's on the bottom. (and yes I put the lid on first) The can is dated 1998! Now I thought I would have a sticky mess on my hands, but the base dried in about 30 minutes even down in the cold basement. It sanded to a nice smooth finish which seems ready for a topcoat. So now I'm thinking - did I luck out? Or will the topcoat flake off.

Any advise? Should I dump it, or if it is drying OK should I use it up?
Thanks,
Wes

harry strasil
03-06-2004, 1:11 AM
can't answer your question, but there is a product out in a spray can that is called Bloxygen, it is a gas that you can spray into a partial used can of shellac, varnish or paint and it replaces the oxygen in the can that forms the skin on these products. I think its $8 or $9 dollars a can and is nothing but pure argon gas, argon gas is 2 1/2 times heavier than air so it stays in the can and replaces the oxygen atmosphere, its amazing how it works, makes the shelf life of some things almost indefinite.

for what its worth

irnsrgn

David Rose
03-06-2004, 2:11 AM
Wes, from everything I've read the real test of shellac is in the drying. I would save it for non essential uses just in case. Of course alcohol takes it off quickly enough, so... So far I've not had any go bad, but I have dumped a little without testing it. If it dries I don't think there can be a problem. After all it's pretty simple bug spit. :)

David

I dusted off a can of amber shellac I had on the shelf and proceeded to seal some MDF for a machine base I'm making. I was about 3/4 the way through when the thought crossed my mind (interrupting the vast emptiness) "Gee, I wonder how old this shellac is?" Well, after 15 minutes looking the can over for the freshness date, I read the instructions - it's on the bottom. (and yes I put the lid on first) The can is dated 1998! Now I thought I would have a sticky mess on my hands, but the base dried in about 30 minutes even down in the cold basement. It sanded to a nice smooth finish which seems ready for a topcoat. So now I'm thinking - did I luck out? Or will the topcoat flake off.

Any advise? Should I dump it, or if it is drying OK should I use it up?
Thanks,
Wes

Steven Wilson
03-06-2004, 3:37 PM
Just place a little bit on some glass. It should dry within a half hour. If it's nice and hard the next day then the shellac is fine.

Wes Bischel
03-06-2004, 11:52 PM
Thanks guys. I just wanted to make sure it was OK. It would be a real pain if I ruined a bunch of work because of an old batch of shellac.

"After all it's pretty simple bug spit." David, I did know it's from the lac bug, but I have never heard it called that - to say your quote hit my funny bone is an understatement! :D (he says as he picks himself up off the floor) I guess you could say a shellac finish is literally "spit and polish".

Wes

(Great timing on this one also - my 2yr old's favorite/newest word is "BUG" - or should I say "BUGGA-BUGGA-BUGGA") :p