PDA

View Full Version : Which comes first the chicken or the egg: Planer/Jointer?

Tim Allaire
02-04-2008, 11:33 AM
I know I need both. I have boards that are greater than 6in (but not the money for an 8" or greater) to be smoothed; however, I also need a few of them to be joined (ie 90 degree angles). Which comes first lunchbox planer or wait and save for the jointer (looking around $600 or so in due time)?

John Bailey
02-04-2008, 11:38 AM
It depends on how you work and what you work on, but my opinion is to get the planer. There are other ways around having a jointer such as hand plane, router, or using a sled with your planer. In fact, I had a jointer and ended up selling it because I didn't use it. Keep in mind that I only make things that curve.(boats, dulcimers and kayak paddles) Others will have more need for a jointer.

John

Tim Allaire
02-04-2008, 11:43 AM
Any suggestions on a relatively inexpensive lunch box? (350-450 range)

Thanks for the info!

Danny Thompson
02-04-2008, 12:25 PM
I agree. Planer first. Shopmade jigs and fixtures such as planer sleds, shooting boards, and hand plane fences can be used until you decide to buy a power jointer.

I've got a DeWalt 734, but have seen fine recommendations for a wide variety of others--e.g., Ridgid, Makita, Delta 2-speed, Dewalt 735. Some buy refurbed for a discount. I found mine on Craigslist for $250.

Best of luck.

Rod Sheridan
02-04-2008, 12:49 PM
Hi Tim, as you are already aware, the jointer and planer are a team.

If you cannot afford to purchase both now, I would suggest that you purchase a planer first, then a jointer.

In the mean time, you could take your material to a shop and have them joint one surface/one side, then take it home and plane the remainder.

Regards, Rod.

Tim Allaire
02-04-2008, 1:01 PM
Great idea...thanks!

Jim Becker
02-04-2008, 1:40 PM
Planer first. You really cannot fully utilize a jointer without a planer and there are many ways to straighten an edge of a flat board without a jointer.

Roy Hatch
02-04-2008, 2:43 PM
Tim, My first shop was in the attic of a 2 car garage - meaning very small. It wasn't long before I got the lunch box planer. I often said that I would like a jointer but didn't have room for one, even if one were offered for free. I learned to use the Stanley #7 and some smaller planes.

After woodworking for 3 years, we moved and had room to build a shop. I finally bought a 6" jointer and indeed it's faster than a hand plane. There are still times when I find it quicker to use the hand planes.

My recommendation is to go with what you can afford and have room for. You will never regret learning the use of hand tools.

Roy

Loren Hedahl
02-04-2008, 3:31 PM
You'd find it hard to believe how quick you can true up a board with a scrub plane.

It certainly doesn't need to be perfect. Just enough to get the bow or twist out.

Then run it through your benchtop planer. The planer will clean up all the imperfections and you'll be good to go.

I have a jointer, but almost never use it. When my neighbor sold his, I told him not to worry. Just come over and use mine if he ever needed to. He hasn't taken me up on my offer. It's been over five years.

However, if you are into large production work, then a jointer can save you quite a bit of time and energy.

So, I'd say do without it for a time. Get yourself a good scrub plane and you may find you will never decide to acquire a jointer.

Peter Quinn
02-04-2008, 4:01 PM
Have a dewalt 3 knife , works well. Nice machine. easy to use, very accurate. sits in a corner. Holds shop drawings. Got an old delta dc-380 on ebay 3 yrs ago. Small cast iron buffalo. Faster, smoother better than any lunch box. Requires good dust collection though. Got it for half the price of the dewalt, and knives are cheaper. Might watch ebay/craig's list/newspaper for old used rockwell/delta 12'15"--they never die. Dewalt has a blower system with a hood for a garbage can that works quite nicely, used it w/o dust collection for18mnths.

Alison Gray
02-04-2008, 6:51 PM
I have a Dewalt DW735 planer that I got on ebay for 350 with shipping. It's awesome for a bench top! I hand plane for jointing right now until I have the funds for a jointer.