PDA

View Full Version : Delta 18" band saw

Clancy Courtney
02-04-2008, 11:31 AM
I am looking at a new band saw. I had narrowed it down to th Powermatic 14", $899, and the Rikon 18", $999. A local dealer has a reconditioned Delta 18" saw for $899. Does anyone have the Delta and would you recommend it over the others?

John Bailey
02-04-2008, 11:42 AM
I know that the standard answer to tools questions is usually "bigger is better." However, in the case of bandsaws, bigger is better. I would be looking at both the Rikon and Delta and see which one you like best. I think both would do well. If a 14" better suits your situation better, I don't think you would go wrong with the Powermatic. It's an outstanding machine.

I would pick the Rikon, cause I like green.;)

John

Jason Koon
02-04-2008, 11:48 AM
I just bought the 18" Steel City. Quite an upgrade from my 10" bone shaker.

Grant Morris
02-04-2008, 12:16 PM
Assuming you are going by the Woodcraft $999 price on the Rikon, by the time you add on the additional shipping charges you are right around the same price as the Grizzly G0514X 19" saw which has more horsepower and bigger resaw capacity. Might want to consider that one too...

Ron Bontz
02-04-2008, 12:17 PM
Well, if memory serves me correctly, I did not like the way a hand wheel sticks down on a Rikon. Seems like it would get in the way and take away from capacity. On the other hand I have a little stool I stand on if I am setting the blade tension on the Delta. I have heard good things about the Rikon. Powermatic I am sure could elicit some positive comments as well, but I own an 18" Delta. 2HP so it runs on 220volt. I bought the 18" at the time because by the time I added the riser and other accessories to a 14" I was close to the price of the 18". A 14" or 18" decision depends on what you plan to use it for. I tend to lean toward bigger than what I need it for. I have never had any problems with my Delta 18" 2 speed, but I do not use it excessively. It's a little big for my small shop and I have to keep it turned sideways on a mobile base to keep from being gored in my haste:eek:. It's either that or hang bright orange ribbons on the horns so I see them. It could use a better fence/ re-saw system, but there must be 101 ways to modify a fence for re-sawing. I really like the dual dust ports and the machine is extremely quiet running. Almost to quiet. I really have to make sure I get it turned off. As far as being refurbished, I now have a refurbished Delta DJ20 (just took delivery on). Looks and functions like new. No serious complaints there and I saved some serious bucks. The cost of my Band saw 6 years ago---$1200+. Made in tiawan. I think they are closer to $1400.00 now so you would save considerably over a new one. You could always use the savings to look into a fence system to suite your needs if needed. Save a buck when you can. There is always a bigger and better toy to buy. Take care:)

Clancy Courtney
02-04-2008, 1:37 PM
Thanks to all for your opinions. Space may dictate getting the Powermatic.

Dave MacArthur
02-04-2008, 1:52 PM
Hi, click the link in my signature about choosing a bandsaw, and there is a good review of the 18" delta posted there. ;)

Clancy Courtney
02-04-2008, 2:44 PM
Dave, Thanks for the links, very helpful.

Peter Quinn
02-04-2008, 4:21 PM
Have the PM14", nice capable machine, sets up accurate, pretty gold color too. Worked on a Laguna 18" for a while, spent every day since then wishing I had waited, used my jig saw more and saved to buy a Laguna. Some Day. Lower table height is nicer for me, PM 14" table is a bit high. Stay away from Woodtec..that one I know is junk.

Bob Aquino
02-04-2008, 5:40 PM
One of the links Dave had in his post was my review of this saw. You can find it here : http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=13094

Overall I like the saw, but I have upgraded guides on mine. I wasn't that keen on the original guides and I don't know if they have done anything to improve them. I would not shy away from refurbs, my unisaw was a refurb from Redmond and Sons 8 or 9 years ago. 900 is not a bad price at all for that saw, it has some nice features. If you are really interested in it, I would put it through its paces and make sure you are happy with the way it tracks and cuts.

Clancy Courtney
02-05-2008, 10:58 AM
Bob, I read your review of the Delta. It is quite helpful. I'll check out the blade guides more thoroughly.
Thanks

David Weaver
02-05-2008, 11:55 AM
Clancy - with bandsaws, space shouldn't be as much of an issue. An 18" bandsaw has almost the same footprint as a 14" bandsaw.

I can't make individual recommendations like some others because most of my experience is with my own (a new-design Jet JWBS-18X), and some 12 and 14" sizes. The nicer 14" saws do a fine job, but I would never buy any of them over a decent 18" saw if given the choice.

I, too, have space issues. I directly attached the corner brackets from an HTC guide system to my saw and it rolls around like a shopping cart. You can see in the picture that I just skipped the rails that come with the HTC system and drilled base and attached the parts directly - more solid. Space-wise, the saw sits between the two cars in front of a router table (also between two cars) in my garage. It doesn't really take an appreciable amount of space.

Also, I wouldn't get too swept up in the power ratings of the bigger saws. Anything close to 2hp will be enough if you set it up correctly and use a good blade. More horsepower, on the other hand, won't be able to overcome bad results caused by a dull blade or poor setup. Mine is only 1.75hp (I'm stuck with 110 in the garage for now) and it cuts and resaws fine. Rigidity of the saw, good guides, and proper manufacture are probably more important for a hobbyist.

Clancy Courtney
02-05-2008, 3:37 PM
David, I'm sure you are correct about the relative size of the footprint but I already have 10 lbs in a 5 lbs sack. I am going to try rearrange so that it works. Maybe time to add-on. Again, thanks for everyone's help.

jason lambert
02-05-2008, 4:07 PM
The 14" powermatic is the best for a 14" it is really a hopped up jet. But I like the advice above get the bigest you can. I decided on a steel city 18" this weekend. The only thing I can say with the 18" is you need 220 and it is heavy. My back wishes I got the 14" that came in 2 small boxes, this is now the heaveyest thing I own but I am happy.

John Shuk
02-05-2008, 4:39 PM
My friend has the 18" Delta and paid about $1200 for it. He has no regret whatsoever and I can attest that it is a nice saw. He is mostly a turner so his cuts may not test the guides to their fullest. That said he has never complained about them. I really like the quick release for the blade tension as well. It is touted as a 2 speed saw. If I remember correctly when he brought it home it was set for the lower speed and for wood cutting the higher speed is best. If I were in your area I would jump on that saw for $899 if you weren't going to. I also like Delta tools for the most part.

Justin McCurdy
02-05-2008, 5:00 PM
There is one Delta 18" that does get pretty mixed reviews:

Delta 28-682 18-Inch 2 Horsepower Woodworking Band Saw with Ball Bearing Guides, 230-Volt 1 Phase

http://www.amazon.com/Delta-28-682-Horsepower-Woodworking-230-Volt/dp/B0000EI96F/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1202248683&sr=8-1

You can search for the reviews and read them yourself on amazon.com.