PDA

View Full Version : Knock down spray booth

Russell Tribby
02-04-2008, 12:22 AM
I saw the plans for this on an earlier post and decided to build it this weekend. I had to spray 30 drawers on Saturday and I knew I needed something to contain all of the overspray. It worked great. It is essentially made up of three sides and stores easily along the walls of the garage when not in use. I had to throw away the plastic when I was done but that's not a big loss. I think the roll was about $12. This was well worth it for me since this was such a big job. You can see the stacks of drawers in the pictures. I had to build 30 solid-wood, dovetailed drawers to varying specs and install them with undermount slides. I put in about half of them today and will finish up this weekend.

Rick Moyer
02-04-2008, 8:32 AM
Russell, I would add that if you go to Lowe's or HD or anywhere and get a cheap lazy suzan turntable (about $10) and some plywood scrap you can have a finishing turtable which will make spraying things a whole lot easier.

Russell Tribby
02-04-2008, 10:43 AM
I thought about that and I may do it in the future. I had so many drawers to spray that I wanted to be able to do more than one at a time. I will probably incorporate the lazy susan idea for next time. Thanks for the advice.

Greg Caputo
02-04-2008, 11:01 AM
Russell:

Looks good. Did the box fan work OK? Every time I read something about a spray booth, the author talks about the need for an explosion proof motor. I spray only water borne material so am wondering whether the box fan idea might be the way to go.

Greg

Brian Brown
02-04-2008, 11:26 AM
I like this, and wanted to make one several years ago, but I wanted mine fully enclosed. I am alergic to fires and explosions, so like Greg, I worried about a box fan motor being non explosive. I wonder if in a fully enclosed setup, if the fan/filter could be put in the back wall (behind the sprayer), and the front wall hole covered with a furnace filter where the fan is now. This will create a positive air flow where the fumes are pushed out with no sparks in the vicinity. If vented outside, it would reduce the chance of explosion. Not nearly as safe as an explosion proof fan, but better than the fumes being sucked across the sparking brushes in the fan motor. Just a thought.

Russell Tribby
02-04-2008, 1:32 PM
Brian, it seems we have something in common. I too am allergic to fires and explosions. I was spraying a water-based lacquer so I wasn't worried about the potential for igniting anything. The box fan worked okay. I don't think it was strong enough. There was still a lot of stagnant finish in the air. I have a Jet air filtration system running at the same time and I think that helped quite a bit. I'm going to see if I can get a stronger fan for next time. The one I used was a cheap Wal Mart brand and it didn't move much air.

Brian Brown
02-04-2008, 2:05 PM
Ya gotta love waterborne finishes for that severe explosion alergy, but they don't make for as much fun after breathing them! :D

Josiah Bartlett
02-04-2008, 3:02 PM
Box fans tend to have induction or shaded pole motors, so if you don't start or stop them (causing an arc in the switch) they shouldn't explode.

However, for true safety a squirrel cage, belt driven fan with a TEFC motor mounted outside the vapor rich environment is the way to go.