PDA

View Full Version : New England Who??????

Frank Orzehoski
02-03-2008, 10:51 PM
WOW!! The Patriots and Tom Brady had a chance to join the Dolphins as the only two undeafeated teams in NFL history. Brady and Belicheck both came off so small it was pathetic. The Giants weren't even thought of as a team to be a Superbowl contender when the season started. Tom Coughlin who was publicly castrated by some of his players last year beat Bellicheck and Brady. I guess all talk about how great the Pats are and Brady verses Montana can now cease since Brady looked like a 5th string quatrerback out there tonight. I'm not a Giants fan either but they made the Patriots and Brady look bad tonight. Couldn't close the door on an inferior opponent.

Greg Peterson
02-03-2008, 11:02 PM
The Giants weren't an inferior opponent. The Pats were the inferior opponent. Brady looked like an average QB. Since Belichick was able to spot to many men on the field by a split second one does has to wonder how he missed the final two seconds on the game clock. Especially since everyone else knew there was two seconds left on it.

SCOTT ANDREWS
02-03-2008, 11:05 PM
WOW!! The Patriots and Tom Brady had a chance to join the Dolphins as the only two undeafeated teams in NFL history. Brady and Belicheck both came off so small it was pathetic. The Giants weren't even thought of as a team to be a Superbowl contender when the season started. Tom Coughlin who was publicly castrated by some of his players last year beat Bellicheck and Brady. I guess all talk about how great the Pats are and Brady verses Montana can now cease since Brady looked like a 5th string quatrerback out there tonight. I'm not a Giants fan either but they made the Patriots and Brady look bad tonight. Couldn't close the door on an inferior opponent.

I think you can credit alot of that to the Giants defense.That had to be the most hammering Brady saw all year long.

Frank Orzehoski
02-03-2008, 11:08 PM
The Giants weren't an inferior opponent. The Pats were the inferior opponent. Brady looked like an average QB. Since Belichick was able to spot to many men on the field by a split second one does has to wonder how he missed the final two seconds on the game clock. Especially since everyone else knew there was two seconds left on it.

Good point Greg BUT, they weren't thought of as an NFC Champion before the season started (Bears, Eagles and Saints were the teams thought to go) and everybody was picking the Patriots to win tonight. Not too many people were thinking a Giants win which makes it the win even sweeter for them.

Gary Keedwell
02-03-2008, 11:13 PM
I think there is more to the story....Brady was missing easy passes...got to wonder about his ankle:o I think Patriot's strategy of containment or whatever you want to call it...backfired. They should have blitzed Manning more from the begining.
Gary

Frank Orzehoski
02-03-2008, 11:14 PM
Last night at a Poker get together I was the only one to pick the Giants because of their defense. Ironically, Spagnola came form the Eagles who came close to beating the Pats in the regular season if it had been for bad play calling by Andy Reed and a horrible back up quaterback in AJ Feeley. The Giants deserve alot of credit for this win.

SCOTT ANDREWS
02-03-2008, 11:20 PM
I think there is more to the story....Brady was missing easy passes...got to wonder about his ankle:o I think Patriot's strategy of containment or whatever you want to call it...backfired. They should have blitzed Manning more from the begining.
Gary

The ankle might have had an effect.The Giants getting in his face alot didn't help.What puzzles me is,where was the Pats offensive line.Normally Brady has all day long to find a reciever.I fiqured they would protect even more due to the ankle.

Frank Orzehoski
02-03-2008, 11:25 PM
Ok, so back to back abysmal playoff games and its his ankle?? The Giants D had nothing to do with it right?!?!

Ken Fitzgerald
02-03-2008, 11:35 PM
Just a few observations from someone who did not have a dog in this fight:

1. Brady's ankle may or may not have had an effect on his play.....

2. The Giants defense was ridiculed at the beginning of the season as not up to NFL standards by a lot of sports commentators.Tonight Giants defense rose to the occasion. They played a great game.

3. The Giant's coach's future with the team was being questioned early in the season.

4. Eli Mannings future with the Giants and in the NFL was being questioned early in the season.

5. If you watch football pre-game shows...check this out. This season, in college and pro football, when all of the commentators picked a single team to win a game.....it was like the kiss of death for that team. It happened a lot in both college and pro football this year.

6. Both teams played a great game. But....somebody has to win.

Rick Gifford
02-03-2008, 11:43 PM
Good. Maybe now all the Patriot ballyhoo will come to an end. I really don't like the Giants at all. But it's been so long that they have won a Super Bowl, good for them. Folks like to root for the underdog.

With the stuff earlier on the Pat's cheating ordeal, so many Pat's fans have been boisterous with every win, in your face, take that, call us cheats will ya?

Got old in a hurry.

They had a powerful season. Good team that's for sure. Glad this one is over.

Anyhow I bet theres a party going on in New York!

David G Baker
02-04-2008, 12:12 AM
It was a great game!

Chris Padilla
02-04-2008, 11:21 AM
Except for winning his first Super Bowl, young Eli reminded me of a young Elway: grit, determination, and coming into his own in his 4th year. Elway took Denver to their first SB in his 4th year but guess who beat them? The Giants!

The Mannings have quite the family...amazing.

Peter Elliott
02-04-2008, 11:56 AM
Sorry, have to chime in here.

Long time Patriots fan and grew up in New England.

Never in my life have I seen so many people NOT want to see a "good deed". Living outside of New England, so many say, I hate the Patriots.. Why? Because your fav. team didn't do so well? So now you have to hate a winner. Yes, they lost... but still outstanding year!

Can you honestly tell me that you have heard New England fans claiming victory before the game. Yes, I thought MY team was going to win, because I believe in them. But not once did I think they couldn't loose. That was for every game this year. And most New Englanders feel this way.

Just because this decade has been good to Pats, doesn't mean you have to cast them as "I hate them". Remember when 49's had their run or the Steelers. I still routed for my team but didn't "hate" the other team. I guess it's the time we are in.

Cheating, call it all the names, what ever. If you spent 2min on the net reading, you'd understand that all the teams do this. The Pats goofed on the protocol of filming and got a hefty fine. Hmm the Jets got caught doing the same but that went away in the press, right.

Hats off to the Giants, this superbowl was a great game. Both came to play for a win and Giants earned it.

Stop drinking the "Hater-aide" and be a fan of the game. Maybe your team will be their one day?

-Peter

Phyllis Meyer
02-04-2008, 12:10 PM
I gave a woman's point of view over on the N.E. Patriots post (if anyone wants to read it). I agree with you, nobody should hate the Patriots. They had an outstanding season! We all have to be good sports as Mom always taught me (of course she was a Bears fan:)).

I did cheer for the Giants (yep the team that defeated my team), I just like the underdogs, not because I don't like the Patriots.

Have a great day everyone!

Phyllis:)
"It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up"
Vince Lombardi

Greg Peterson
02-04-2008, 12:12 PM
I don't buy the ankle theory and I doubt Brady or any other player would use that as an excuse because at this point in the season, every player is banged up, sore and tired.

NY's defense turned Brady into a mere mortal. Brady didn't play a good game and you have to give the NY defense credit for that. They neutralized his weapons.

It's too bad the Pats didn't score at least the 17 points Burress predicted. :D

Gary Keedwell
02-04-2008, 5:44 PM
Sorry, have to chime in here.

Long time Patriots fan and grew up in New England.

Never in my life have I seen so many people NOT want to see a "good deed". Living outside of New England, so many say, I hate the Patriots.. Why? Because your fav. team didn't do so well? So now you have to hate a winner. Yes, they lost... but still outstanding year!

Can you honestly tell me that you have heard New England fans claiming victory before the game. Yes, I thought MY team was going to win, because I believe in them. But not once did I think they couldn't loose. That was for every game this year. And most New Englanders feel this way.

Just because this decade has been good to Pats, doesn't mean you have to cast them as "I hate them". Remember when 49's had their run or the Steelers. I still routed for my team but didn't "hate" the other team. I guess it's the time we are in.

Cheating, call it all the names, what ever. If you spent 2min on the net reading, you'd understand that all the teams do this. The Pats goofed on the protocol of filming and got a hefty fine. Hmm the Jets got caught doing the same but that went away in the press, right.

Hats off to the Giants, this superbowl was a great game. Both came to play for a win and Giants earned it.

Stop drinking the "Hater-aide" and be a fan of the game. Maybe your team will be their one day?

-Peter
Very well said, Peter. We seem to to living in a society of haters. I have seen the same thing politically. We have had people in office that I didn't care for their policies or their morals..but honestly, I didn't really hate them. I see it all over the internet.
Heck, I have been a Red Sox fan since Ted Williams was still playing. The Yankees were our FOE but I never hated them. If anything, I had wished Mickey Mantle or Whitey Ford played for our team. It also makes me wince when I see kids wear "Yankee's Suck" tee-shirts. We would never wear such a thing and I wouldn't let my kids wear something like that. (in my day it would not have been made).
Anyways...true sportsmenship is out of style...I guess. Replaced by crude people with lousy upbringing....
Gary

Rick Gooden
02-04-2008, 5:46 PM
Cheating is cheating no matter who is doing it. Just like your mother taught you, just because someone else does it doesn't make it right. Punishment of some sort should be brought on any that participate, in football, buisiness, and life. The morality of the times is a sad thing to observe. None of us are perfect and we all do things we shouldn't and thing we wish we wouldn't have, but we should be held accountable. I'm stepping off the soapbox now, sorry for the rant.

Gary Keedwell
02-04-2008, 6:04 PM
[quote=Rick Gooden;765491]Cheating is cheating no matter who is doing it.

Huh, doesn't it matter what the word "is" means.:D

Walt Nicholson
02-04-2008, 6:18 PM
Rick you are right. My grandson asked me yesterday if I was a Giants fan and I said "no, I just don't like to see someone win who cheats". Last week some press reports indicated more accounts of the Patriots filming illegally coming out from some former employees. No matter what, these guys are role models for our kids and if it is accepted as "they all do it" what message are we sending to our kids. If our kids cheat and get caught will they say "the Super Bowl champs (almost) did it and nobody cared, why can't we cheat" Vince Lombardi is spinning in his grave. Now I will go use my soap box for firewood. Isn't there a golf game on somewhere? :D

Peter Elliott
02-04-2008, 6:23 PM
Right Rick.

But was this "cheating" or a mere mistake.

I find it hard to believe that a Coach like Belichick would open himself up to video scandal.

If Coach Gibbs, Parcel, Cowher, etc. were accused. I would be just as curious as to whether it was a true scandal or a mistake on the rules. I can't remember how big the NFL rule books are but it's not a paperback!

Maybe I am nieve.

It's the press that leads us down this road because it makes a "good story".

But again, congrats Giants! They earned the win. See ya next year.

Go Celtics, Bruins and Red Sox's... win-loose-draw...

-Peter

Peter Elliott
02-04-2008, 6:28 PM
Walt -

The Press! right... great timing for a Senator to release a statement "that I want to look into it".

Gee Senator - why are you saying this right before the Superbowl.
Gee Senator - where were you 3 months ago
Gee Senator - Don't you have more important issues to deal with the country and your state, that you were elected to?

Politics and Press - go ahead a believe them. See their track record!

Wrong is wrong! That is what I tell my child. But hearsay and rumors are nothing to teach a child with.

OK - I am done! Back to golf Walt. I am huge Tiger Fan.. OH geez, hope that doesn't stir anyone up. Add Lance Armstrong too...

I think I need to go cut some wood and finish a project!

Take care guys
Peter

Alex Berkovsky
02-05-2008, 1:50 PM
Huh, doesn't it matter what the word "is" means.:DLOL... Don't go down that road, Gary. Remember, no politics.

Dennis Peacock
02-05-2008, 1:52 PM
LOL... Don't go down that road, Gary. Remember, no politics.

Exactly correct. No politics. ;)