PDA

View Full Version : Redwood porch furniture

Bill Spero
03-05-2004, 11:37 PM
Hi Guy’s, I can use some advice here. You vintage guy’s (like myself) should remember those redwood porch furniture sets, usually 2 chairs and a settee. Long story short my wife wants me to build a set of these retro pieces for my mother in law because she had a set way back when. My problem is that I remember these and from what I remember they had sort of spring and band configuration under the seat cushion. I don’t think I can replicate that but I’d like to try to keep the look and feel pretty close. I have one of the chairs but my father in law made a repair and he changed the seat configuration to a flat sheet of plywood under the seat. It changed the feel completely. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Bill

Chris Padilla
03-08-2004, 12:12 PM
Bill,

I'd suggest a good search on Google to see if you can find any help to your question. Either folks here missed your question or nobody knows! :eek:

Roger Fitzsimonds
03-08-2004, 12:39 PM
Hi Bill,

Just a thought but you could replace the bands and springs with bungie cords. They would be easier to find. just cross hatch the bungie's like the old bands were. You would still get some of the give with them.

My 2 centavos

Roger

Bill Spero
03-08-2004, 5:29 PM
Thanks for the replys guy’s. I wasn’t sure if anyone had any ideas or not, I really didn’t want to get into some type of upholstery stringing under the cushion I’ll probably go with some type of slat arrangement. Anyway thanks again.

Bill

Rick Lasita
03-08-2004, 6:00 PM
Bill, this is just a hunch, since I didn't look, but I seem to recall Van Dyke's restorers might have what you are looking for, they seem to carry just about everything else.

Rick

Bill Spero
04-25-2004, 11:11 AM
Hi Guy’s, I know you like pictures so I thought I’d post my solution to the problem I asked about in this thread. I borrowed a little from the Adirondack chair and the old porch chair and even added a little funky crocket lean. The wide rear leg takes up the slack and it’s really quite stable. It’s sized to fit commercially available cushions.

Bill

Chris Padilla
04-26-2004, 11:27 AM
Excellent...looks nice and comfy. I love it when things look unstable but clearly aren't! :)

Bill Spero
04-30-2004, 3:53 PM
Thanks Chris, I apreciate the kind words. I figured I add a pic with the redwood stain and the poly onboard.

Bill

Robert Ducharme
04-30-2004, 4:19 PM
Couldn't you have made the legs of the red chair a little longer so you did not need to mount it on something before sitting in it? :confused: :D :D :D