PDA

View Full Version : Juggling???

Ed Garrett
02-03-2008, 9:36 PM
Any other Jugglers out there??? How did you get into juggling?

I’m not that good, but it sure if fun. I started it as a young geologist doing field work for the Feds. It seemed I was always in the middle of nowhere waiting for a truck to come pick me up. One day started picking up rocks and juggling them. Now I’ve gotten my son into it. It’s great fun we can have together in the fine weather we’re having now...

Sincerely,
Ed Garrett
Tallahassee

David G Baker
02-04-2008, 12:19 AM
I don't juggle but I saw some pins in a restaurant the other day and thought about turning a few for decorations. If I do, I may give juggling a try.

jeremy levine
02-04-2008, 8:22 AM
No pins just balls. Started when I saw Steve Martin do it ( 2 with one hand ).

Greg Muller
02-04-2008, 8:59 AM
I'm not very good, but I picked it up in the military- Like Ed, sitting around and waiting a lot inspired me to give it a shot.

I can keep 4 balls going or do some tricks with three that the kids love...some frisbee or plate juggling... I have juggled knives and once a chainsaw with a couple garden utensils. The chainsaw hit the ground a lot, but no damage since it wasn't running :p

Greg

mark page
02-04-2008, 9:03 AM
I may have juggled a few girlfriends when in high school, does that count???:eek:

Jim Becker
02-04-2008, 9:12 AM
Don't do it, but recently had the pleasure of seeing these folks (http://jugglers.com/) on New Year's Eve and they were terrific! A pleasure to watch and they were also wonderful with the kids.

John Schreiber
02-04-2008, 9:15 AM
I'm out of practice, but I can do lots of tricks with three balls or three clubs. I have fun with a "flower-stick". Juggling is a fun hobby to fill the hours.

On a woodworking note, I wonder if their might be a market for duplicating old wooden juggling clubs. Not "Indian clubs" which used to be used kind of like hand weights are now, but hollow wooden juggling clubs. They were made by hollowing out two halves of a blank with a gouge, then gluing together and turning the outside. Then they were often wrapped with some kind of fabric and glue like an early fiberglass.

Chuck Jones
12-14-2009, 12:13 AM
I realize this is an old thread but just maybe one of you know where I could find specifications for juggling clubs; like size, weight, type of wood, whatever. I know absolutely nothing about juggling, but my grandson has gotten really quite good at it and I thought I might make a set for him. His grandmother was going to buy a set, but she blinked when she saw the price range.
Thanks

Peter Stahl
12-14-2009, 2:36 AM
Chuck,

I did a google search and this was the best site I found (http://www.juggler.org/diy/clubs.shtml). Couldn't find any that gave instruction on how to make wooden ones or even the dimensions but width wise they are 75, 85, 95 & 105 MM in dia. This site (http://www.renegadejuggling.com/Web_store/rev3k/index.html) sells them so maybe you can get a better idea from what they have as to weight and size. You want to go with a wood that is easy to turn. As far as length and weight I would say that probably depends on the size of the person juggling. Let us know how you make out, I'd love to see the finished product.

John Coloccia
12-14-2009, 7:45 AM
Juggling, devil sticks, yo-yos, contact juggling.... Basically anything that involves dropping things on the ground. I think juggling and woodworking tickle the same part of the brain. It's the desire to exercise mastery over the world around you, be that gravity or uncooperative wood.

Chuck Jones
12-14-2009, 10:15 PM
Thanks Peter. Those sites are very helpful. Better than others I had found. We have decided to buy a fairly cheap set for now and tackle turning a set later. Too many variables... like not knowing what the grandson really needs. I think this is clearly a case where a few prototypes will be necessary. I'm going to wait until after Christmas so I can get him involved in the process.

John, I gotta tell you, your train of thought is running far more philosophical than mine on this topic :) But I do see what you mean. I made my grandson (and grand daughter) yo-yo's some time back and that's what got him into juggling. Come to think of it he likes woodturning too. hmmmm.

John Schreiber
12-20-2009, 12:20 PM
I juggle clubs but I haven't tried making my own. Wooden clubs would have to be either heavy or fragile. Getting them all perfectly matched for weight and balance would be a big challenge too.

As I understand it, the technique for making them from wood in the past was to cut a blank in half lengthwise, gouge out most of the middle to reduce weight. (I think the way of getting that shape right is to turn a second club which is smaller by a set amount all around, and use that as a gauge to see if the right amount has been removed.) Then when the hollow has been created, glue up the blank again and turn the outer shape of the club. To make them more durable, they were then wrapped with cloth strips soaked in glue.

This is for juggling clubs. They are very different from exercise clubs which are much heavier and more durable.

One piece plastic clubs are barely adequate, but more expensive composite clubs like <http://www.dube.com/club/european-juggling-clubs.php> are much more comfortable, but more expensive. Since hours of practice is required, comfort is a big issue.