PDA

View Full Version : Another birdhouse

Curt Fuller
02-03-2008, 9:09 PM
I think this is the most time I've ever taken to make something on my lathe. And probably the last time I'll do it. This is a segmented maple with walnut trimmings birdhouse. It's 16" tall by 7.5" diameter. The story behind the chimney sticking out of the roof is that I let one of the rings slip when I was glueing them together. So when I started turning the shape of the birdhouse I got too thin and a little hole came through. So it was either go back and make some more rings, throw the danged thing in the garbage, or try to come up with a way to fix it. That was my fix. The finish is spar urethane. I gotta say my hat goes of to the segmenters that make all those fancy designs. I pulled my hair out just making plain rings.
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb319/clfuller1_2007/Maplesegmentedbirdhouse.jpg

tim mathis
02-03-2008, 9:15 PM
i like that ... very nice...

Pete Jordan
02-03-2008, 9:16 PM
You are a wild man!

Is that a smokestack or a satellite dish?

Brian Brown
02-03-2008, 9:26 PM
Looks really nice Curt. The chimney makes a nice whimsical touch. You don't really need to tell anyone why it was necessary!:) Maple and walnut together is of my favorite combinations. By the way, never say never. Segmenting is just as addictive as solid wood turning. :D Besides, you really don't have a better way to spend your time do you? :rolleyes:

Bernie Weishapl
02-03-2008, 9:39 PM
That is to cool Curt. I really like the stack on it. Well done.

Steve Schlumpf
02-03-2008, 11:16 PM
Curt - the birds around your house must Love you! Very nice work - great colors and the chimney changes the entire look to one of whimsey! Seriously nice work - as always!

Johnathan Bussom
02-03-2008, 11:19 PM
That looks great Curt,
You kind of shook me there with taking your hat off, just how many segments did you do in a ring?, I was glad to see the dimensions, at first I thought it was one of the miniature birdhouses like I sometimes do!

I have a wanta list for segmented bowls come warmer weather, I won't do any seg stuff while its cold!

I gotta say my hat goes of to the segmenters that make all those fancy designs. I pulled my hair out just making plain rings.

Bill Stevener
02-04-2008, 9:09 AM
Curt, what ever event you may some day enter that in, it will surely win first place. With the little gems you come up with, I often wonder if you wrote "Alice In Wonderland." :)

robert hainstock
02-04-2008, 10:24 AM
beautiful piece Curt. One can always plug the hole or at least try to. Good job. :):)
Bob

Barry Elder
02-04-2008, 11:32 AM
Don't know about the dog house or the house house, but you certainly are a bird house Master!! Your birdhouses are unique and look great!

David Walser
02-04-2008, 11:52 AM
That's a wonderful birdhouse. I love the chimney. Even if it's only there because of an inadvertent design opportunity, it belongs there.

Ben Gastfriend
02-04-2008, 6:17 PM
Great birdhouse, neat smokestack- the birds need to keep warm too!