PDA

View Full Version : Let the fun begin...

Danny Jennings
03-05-2004, 10:53 PM
I finally won a bid on a woodworking vise. :)
Price probably wasn't gloatable (<$100 inc. shipping to Tx) but I think it was fair considering shape it looks to be in.
Also decided on a workbench design. It will be a modified version of aWoodsmith design (cover of issue#100)
Pictures below:
*Morgan vise(won on ebay)
*Bench(doors closed)
*Bench(doors open)

Richard Gillespie
03-08-2004, 7:21 AM
Good luck on your project. The details look great. Keep us posted on how you are doing.

Alan Turner
03-08-2004, 9:12 AM
Nice vise; enjoy. As to the workbench, You might want to elave some room between the top and the cabinet. I use the LV holddown, a screw type, and the shaft on it is probably about 7" or so. You might need some room under the bench to use any type of hold down. I have resisted a cabinet under the bench for this reason only, as space is dear in my small shop. Just a thought.
Alan

Tyler Howell
03-08-2004, 9:18 AM
Danny,
I have many Vices ;).
That looks like a great Vise.

Danny Jennings
03-08-2004, 9:08 PM
I picked up the vise at PO today (not home when they tried to deliver Friday).
It looks like it will be a sweet tool. :)
Man, this thing is really "beefy" :cool:
I'm really excited about this baby. :D

Alan..don't know about the holddown. I hadn't really considered that, but is a possibility I'll have to think about. The bench will be larger than Woodsmith's version and have some framing inside the cabinet rather than just the 3/4" frame and panel construction they used. I don't think that's rugged enough for any serious handwork.

Tyler.. I 'm getting too old to have many vices (although there are a few..viva Las Vegas next week..for example..so I persuaded LOML that I needed a vise to be able to properly use the 2 jack planes, 2 smoothers, and foreplane that I recently acquired. :D

I have a few other projects to clear up before I actually start on the bench, but I will try to post pictures as it develops.