PDA

View Full Version : Longworth Chuck completed

Steve Trauthwein
02-03-2008, 5:21 PM
Hello All,

Finally finished the Longworth Chuck. Suffered a little trepidation after putting it together, being concerned about it funtioning properly. It works like a charm. I used a 3/8" bit for the channels and decided to go with 1/4 inch bolts and turn a spacer. While looking through the wood pile for spacer material my eye fell on some corian that I have made pens with in the past. It worked very well. A few photos as I know if there are no pics it didn't happen. Quality of photos is not great as I didn't bother setting up the photo tent.

Regards, Steve

Steve Schlumpf
02-03-2008, 5:26 PM
Very nice work Steve! Looks like it should work beautifully!

Brad Hammond
02-03-2008, 5:55 PM
you guys are continually amazing me with this thing. guess i gotta start lookin or some plans.

great job!

Bill Stevener
02-03-2008, 6:43 PM
That should work like a charm Steve. Great looking job. I think you will enjoy it. Thanks for showing.:)

Bill Bolen
02-03-2008, 8:15 PM
Great job Steve! I know you will get a lot of use out of it. BTW what did you use for the rubbewr stopper pegs?...Bill...

Ben Gastfriend
02-03-2008, 8:20 PM
Good job. If the cole jaws don't come, I think I'll be making myself one of these.

Bernie Weishapl
02-03-2008, 8:34 PM
Looks great Steve. That is a nice job.

Steve Trauthwein
02-04-2008, 8:42 AM
I used bottle stoppers found at a brewing supply.

<http://www.undergrounddigital.com/rubberstoppers.htm>

Regards, Steve

robert hainstock
02-04-2008, 10:35 AM
very nice workmanship. It should give you many years of trouble free service. :)
Bob

David Walser
02-04-2008, 12:37 PM
Steve,

Looks like a very nice Longworth chuck. Do you mind sharing with us how large and how small a bowl it will handle? Also, it appears you used both wingnuts and hexnuts. Are the hexnuts just there as a safety precaution? I don't think I've seen that approach before.

Steve Trauthwein
02-04-2008, 3:51 PM
The size range for turned objects is from 3" to 16 1/2". I used the design in Woodturning Design magazine, issue winter 2006. The only thing I did differently was to go with the 3/8" slots instead of the 1/4". The lock nut is to keep the wing nut in place when loose, no accidental losses.

I initially tried to use a nut to attach the chuck but after three failures went with a dedicated face plate. I really don't know why the nut failed. I had it glued in a piece of wood and glued to a flat piece of wood. All of this was true on the lathe but when I glued or screwed it to the chuck I lost trueness. Oh Well. I really liked the idea I read about using a metal ring that will fit your bowl chuck to mount the longworth on.

With good directions and a little patience these are quite easy to make. I just have the greatest respect for people who figure these out in the first place.

Regards, Steve