PDA

View Full Version : Pressure Treated Pine

Marc Prudhomme
02-03-2008, 3:36 PM
Just a curiosity question.
Can I work with pressure treated pine in my workshop as far as using a tablesaw and router table.Are the chemicals used harmful?I am using this material to make outside chairs and wanted to use my indoor power tools,router table with template for curves, and some sanding.

Joe Chritz
02-03-2008, 3:44 PM
It's wet and corrosive but if you clean up when done it is fine. The dust is extra bad for you. Don't leave a piece on a cast iron top for any amount of time and don't use a sawstop with the brake still engaged.

It won't sand well unless it is very dry.

Joe

Bill Ryall
02-03-2008, 3:45 PM
Yes. The new chemicals being used for PT are not as harmful as the old ones.

Just exercise some common sense for dust collection, wear a dust mask and clean up after yourself.

Pete Bradley
02-03-2008, 3:59 PM
I'd move the router table outside. There's no way you're going to avoid a lot of nasty fines in the air.

Pete

Tom Veatch
02-03-2008, 4:07 PM
Yes. The new chemicals being used for PT are not as harmful as the old ones.

Just exercise some common sense for dust collection, wear a dust mask and clean up after yourself.

But they do seem to be much more corrosive. As mentioned before, don't leave cutoffs or sawdust in contact with any iron/steel that isn't heavily galvanized for any length of time unless you like the looks of rust.

And, in your final project, expect any iron/steel fasteners that aren't intended for use with the new PT material to corrode away in short order. I forget what they call it - "dual galvanized", "double galvanized", something like that. Stainless steel fasteners may be OK. Don't know about brass or bronze. Check with your supplier.

Joe Chritz
02-04-2008, 1:01 AM
Stainless is the choice of fasteners for any treated, especially the new ACQ, etc. Double hot dipped galv or special treatments are required otherwise.

Check the fasteners, they will tell you they are good for PT lumber.

I used a lot of stainless nails when I did my wooden foundation. The price is scary, and that was a few years ago.

Joe

Bruce Pennell
02-04-2008, 5:18 AM
McFeely's (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/www.mcfeelys.com/decking-and-exterior)
Offers a great selection of stainless screws. Great to deal with, I've ordered from them 4 or 5 times.