PDA

View Full Version : chisel recommendations please

Rick Moyer
02-03-2008, 12:48 PM
I normally research before asking a question but I didn't this time. I posted on the general board too (hope that's ok):
I need some good chisels. Price is somewhat a factor but if you tell me the better ones are greatly better than that's OK. Mainly looking to clean up mortises, etc. I don't do much neander work. I need to know type or styles, what makes one chisel better than another, which chisels are "must-haves". any other thoughts appreciated too.

Mike Cutler
02-03-2008, 5:44 PM
Rick

I'm going to be perfectly honest with ya', and commit blasphemy.:eek:,;)

I have Lie Nielsen's, Robert Sorby's, Crowns, and Hisch's chisels. The ones I actually use the most..... Those cheap plastic blue handled Irwin/ Marples chisels at Home Depot. Usually $30.00 or so for a three, or four set
They hold an edge, sharpen easily, and I like the feel and length of the handle, and probably most important, I'm not nearly as paranoid about dropping one. They really are nice chisels to have around.
I wouldn't chop mortises with them, Sorby's and Hirsch's Mortise chisels are better suited for that task, But they will clean up the mortise.

I'll convince ya' to buy the others if you want me too.;)

Gary Herrmann
02-03-2008, 6:01 PM
I've got Lie Nielsens, vintage Greenlees and a set of 6 Marples. I think Amazon is selling a set of six for $60. The steel isn't the best but for occasional use, they're fine.

If you wanted to move up the food chain a bit, look at Hirsch and Two Cherries.

You can also get vintage socket chisels for cheap (generally) at flea markets and on the bay. Bob Smalser has several very informative posts about which brands are good, types and what collectors seem to gravitate towards.