PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Sell a Parks Planer?

Carl Eyman
02-03-2008, 8:55 AM
I had a "going out of business sale" at my shop this weekend. I did pretty well, but one disapointment was not selling my Parks/Craftsman planer. It has a pretty new motor, new blades, and is well tuned.

The reaction I got from the potential customers "It's pretty old, isn't it?". How do you convince a potential buyer whose lunch box is wearing out after 5 years that he is better of with a 60 year old Parks? He is isn't he? I'm only asking $200 for it. Too much?

Art Mann
02-03-2008, 9:09 AM
You just haven't gotten to the right customer base. If that planer were advertised for that price in my area, I would be over there in a heartbeat to look at it. I would not be the only one.

mike centeleghe
02-03-2008, 9:16 AM
Try posting it on the owwm.com for sale forum should go fairly fast.Lots of old iron lovers there.

John Shuk
02-03-2008, 9:17 AM
Put it here on the Creek.

Mike Cutler
02-03-2008, 9:37 AM
You just didn't find the right buyer Carl, and it's not too much.
I'd have seriously thought about buying it,and I already have a 15" planer.

A lot of folks are afraid of the weight, and not being able to move it. You'd be surprised. If they can't pick it and put it in the trunk of the car, or the bed of the truck, they don't wan't it.

Advertise it to a broader base,and I'm sure you'll have no problems getting a buyer.

Jim Thiel
02-03-2008, 12:47 PM
If you happen to be coming this way for the summer you are more than welcome to bring with you. I'll even let you use it anytime you want.;)

Jim

Eric DeSilva
02-03-2008, 12:58 PM
Have you tried craigslist? Strikes me the weight and moving it around may be what scares folks off--you may have to wait for the right buyer, but posting it for a wider audience may help.

That said, having put most of my shop together off craigslist, I've found that the heavier iron seems to be irrationally priced. I bought a 20" Grizz planer off craigslist, and regularly watch lunchbox planers go for more than I paid...

John Bailey
02-03-2008, 3:22 PM
I think if you advertised it at the Old Wood Working Machines website, in that shape and at that price, you would sell it quickly. I know if I didn't already have one I would be in my car right now driving to get it. Just my opinion, but I don't think you're asking enough. I looked long and hard for one and I don't think I saw one in that kind of shape for less than the $400-500 range. I think you'll sell it fast at $200.

Actually, I think if you put it on SMC you'll sell also. Those are great machines.

John

Dan Linehan
02-03-2008, 5:24 PM
Let us know if you still need to sell it - I'd make that drive in a minute for that planer at that price!

Carl Eyman
02-03-2008, 5:46 PM
If anyone is interested send me a PM. I didn't mean to use the general woodworking forum as a classified. But thank all for their thoughts.

Vince Shriver
02-03-2008, 6:25 PM
I had to look up what a parks craftsman planer was. If I lived anywhere near you (I'm on the left coast), I'd have that baby in my vehicle toot-sweet with no haggeling. Of course you realize you are asking a bit much for the thing, after all it sold for only $179. (Well, OK, that was in 1939).

Dan Linehan
02-04-2008, 1:40 AM
Carl, I clicked on your profile for contact information, but the link to your homepage doesn't work and there is no e-mail address. Durn computers!

Rick Gifford
02-04-2008, 7:15 AM
Dan just send him a PM on the forum here.