PDA

View Full Version : Home Depot sets up a Cyclone

Bob Cooper
02-03-2008, 8:14 AM
I saw this yesterday at our local home depot and just thought i'd share in case anyone else wanted to try an alternate way to run their ductwork.

JayStPeter
02-03-2008, 8:32 AM
The fine engineers at HD designed the system that way on purpose. You see, they realized that a dull panel saw blade produces a different kind of particulate than a sharp blade. Since the dull blades pulverize the plywood, they produce more chips and shreds than fine dust. So, they purposely designed a less efficient system to increase the SP at the expense of CFM. Since there is less fine dust produced, the system actually does a better job of pulling the large chunks produced by the dull blade through the ductwork. By simply using a reducer right on the inlet and reversing the wye, the engineers were able to get into a different area of the fan curve with minimal cost. Pretty dang ingenious if you ask me.

David Freed
02-03-2008, 8:37 AM
That will make you think twice about asking the HD "experts" a question.

Dick Bringhurst
02-03-2008, 8:40 AM
Ah yes. Aren't they the one that says "You can do it. We can help! Dick B

Rich Schneider
02-03-2008, 8:48 AM
I wonder about the cyclone too.. a quick browse of Aireworks seems to indicate that their equipment is for the textile industry....20 years of dust collection know-how screwed up by a single end-user with zero years experience in dust collection system installation.....

Ken Fitzgerald
02-03-2008, 9:30 AM
"Y" are you folks being so critical?:rolleyes:

Per Swenson
02-03-2008, 9:51 AM
Betcha they send that installer to all the Home Creepos.

P.

Randy Cohen
02-03-2008, 9:57 AM
i would just point out to them what i thought was wrong and see if they just read the directions for assembly wrong. I'm sure none of us has ever done that.

Paul B. Cresti
02-03-2008, 10:02 AM
Sorry guys you got it all wrong....that is a specialized stationary leaf blower not a dust extractor. The air flows in the complete opposite direction....it is all the rage in Europe. I Hope to get my hands on one soon.

Jim O'Dell
02-03-2008, 10:11 AM
Sorry guys you got it all wrong....that is a specialized stationary leaf blower not a dust extractor. The air flows in the complete opposite direction....it is all the rage in Europe. I Hope to get my hands on one soon.

Paul you're right. I will add that this is the step up model that is a 2-stage unit, thus the wye for the second stage's air stream to enter the flow when it is needed. Jim.

I hope someone reading this post in the future undertands sarcasm.:D

Matt Meiser
02-03-2008, 10:31 AM
Bill Pentz is having heart failure right now...

Don Bullock
02-03-2008, 10:41 AM
Bill Pentz is having heart failure right now...

He may have a plane ride to South Carolina in his future. Someone needs to email the picture to Bill.;):D

Bob Cooper
02-03-2008, 11:38 AM
I just laughed when i saw it...i was having some stuff cut on the panel saw at the time. when we were done i took the associate (nice guy) over and showed it to him. His comment was 'well...the drum and filter are full anyway..non one ever empties it. Sweeping up the sawdust gives the young guys something to do'.

i wish i could make 'em an offer on a cyclone. Actually even that 90 is fairly nice.

jason lambert
02-03-2008, 11:52 AM
They will help, doesn't mean it is right! But they are happy to sellyou stuff.

Greg Cole
02-04-2008, 9:16 AM
"You can do it, we can help". They don't tell you they might not have any clue, but they're willing to help??:confused:

Greg

Jim Becker
02-04-2008, 9:39 AM
Well....the good news is that it almost doesn't matter that the thing isn't hooked up right. Have you ever tried to FIND someone to actually cut something? LOL (I waited nearly 30 minutes at the HD in Coral Springs FL two weeks ago when I was helping out a friend by installing a safety gate in her condo and even then it ended up being someone not all that familiar with the task)

Bill White
02-04-2008, 9:42 AM
Wouldn't ya like to see the airstream/airflow on the rig? Who knows. It may self-destruct or implode any moment. Just imagine.....the newest black hole in the known universe is at a Home Depot.
Bill

JT Chrstianson
02-04-2008, 10:21 AM
Back in my early 20's I got a job at the local Home Depot to save money for a trip to South America. A few weeks after being hired I was moved from Floor and Wall to Electrical. In other words, I went from being unable to answer questions about grout to unable to answer questions about service panels.

Whenever I am forced into entering a Hope Depot nowadays, I recall my experiences as an employee and realize that 9 times out of 10, the typical HD employee will not be able to answer any questions that I might have.

Ahhh, it does give me that warm and fuzzy feeling to remember those 2 months that I spent in Argentina after personally helping to knock the local HD's reputation down a few rungs. :D