PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good deal? Mini Max E16

Chris Cobb
02-03-2008, 8:14 AM
Hello Everyone -

I'm still a novice in woodworking (almost a year). I'm in the market for a bandsaw, intended budget is $1000 or less (really, less). I've come across this used minimax E16 for sale, asking price is $1600.

This is certainly more than I intended to pay, but I hear people talk about how great these machines are, so is this a good deal? Is it something I should consider (obviously, only I know my financial situation, so I'm looking for opinions on the percieved value here).

Here is the ad:

"Mini Max E16 bandsaw comes stock with a 2.5hp motor, and 0 blades for 1,695.00 (this is the Mini Max price) I upgraded it to a 3.6hp motor and i also have six carbide blades, two 1/4', two 1/2', and two 1' blades included (worth about 800 dollars), it also has brand new tires on it. The whole machine has been used less than 10 hours. If you would like to check it out go to https://www.minimax-usa.com (https://www.minimax-usa.com/) and select bandsaw it is the first one that comes up. "

Thanks
Chris

Jim Becker
02-03-2008, 9:28 AM
Chris, "IF" the machine actually has the purported low hours, and because it's including those blades and no shipping (assuming it's in your area), it might be considered a good buy at $1600. This saw is the "baby brother/sister" of the beefier MM band saws. There are several E16 owners here at SMC.

Jim O'Dell
02-03-2008, 10:32 AM
You might even check with Mini Max to see if they have any deals at the moment on the E16. $1600.00 saves you the shipping plus $95.00 off regular price. You might even see what the serial number is and ask Mini Max when it was originally purchased to see if it would still have any warranty remaining. If I remember correctly, shipping on my E16 was about $130.00, including tailgate lift. But then I'm only about 4 hours from Austin. It would still have cost me that much in gas just to make the round trip in my big van, and I would have had to unload it myself. No brainer.
Maybe the guy knows less about bandsaws than I do, but I'd also ask why he's had to replace the tires already. Did he not know how to set the saw up? Was it damaged in shipping and he didn't notice, and therefore it is not tracking right and making a mess of things? Not sure why the extra power. The 2.5 seems plenty stout on mine. This isn't the MM16 that everyone raves about, but it is a good little saw. The inclusion of the 1" carbide blades makes me think he was trying to do something with this saw that it was not intended to do. The 1/4 and 1/2 inch blades should be fine on it.
I'd be sure to to talk to Mini Max about the 1" carbide blades to get their take on how well that would work. There are so few of us with this saw, even after 2 1/2 years that there just doesn't seem to be much information on them on the forums, even the Mini Max forum has very little info about the E16. I still have not used mine too much as I'm trying to get the shop rehab to it's final stages so I can finally build something. So I don't have too much extra to offer myself. Do a search on the saw on the SMC search button above, only use the second line that is the Google search. It will pull up all the older threads on this saw here at the Creek. Jim.

Doug Shepard
02-03-2008, 10:47 AM
... but I'd also ask why he's had to replace the tires already.....

That struck me as a bit odd too as well as the fact that the 1/4" and 1/2" blades are carbide?? Do they make carbide tipped blades that narrow?

Kevin Adams
02-03-2008, 1:08 PM
Chris--

I am a fan of Minimax and own an S45N, but when I was doing my search for larger bandsaws I heard some real mixed reports about the E16. It was more than just the fact that it was light duty (and I see that this person has beefed up the motor). The complaints had to do with fit and finish, as well as operating issues (blades wouldn't track properly). For that amount of money, I would suggest you look at the S45N or one of the imports. I have heard pretty good reports about the new Grizzly and Rikon bandsaws. Steel City might be another one to look at.

Kevin

Jim O'Dell
02-03-2008, 1:30 PM
Kevin, I was probably one of those with the tracking problem. I don't think I made a big deal about it, and it was an easy adjustment and works fine now. I don't see any of the little issues I've had with my E16 as being problems. It is my first bandsaw, and I didn't know how to attack the problem, so I asked questions. I did modify the blade guard to track the 1/4" blade to the front of the wheel, although I understand now that tracking the small blades in the middle of the wheel is normal, and the mod probably didn't have to be done. Either way it works fine. I haven't noticed any fit and finish problems, and mine was one of the first dozen or so sold. My 2 cents! Jim.

Ed Beers
02-03-2008, 2:46 PM
Not the deal of a lifetime.

Unless you intend to resaw thousands of board feet of hardwood, the upgraded motor is worth nothing.

The 1/4" and 1/2" (carbide?) blades aren't too expensive new and you probably don't need 2 carbide resaw blades (you would be better off with a good metal detector rather than the second blade).

The saw is good so it is clearly a good deal at some price.

How good are your negociating skills?

John Bailey
02-03-2008, 3:10 PM
Just my opinion, but I think that's a bit overpriced for a used saw of that model. The extra money for a new saw would be worth the MM customer service and warranty. Like someone else has pointed out, why new tires after only 10 hours. Also, not sure I've seen carbide tipped blades on a 1/4" blade. Perhaps he means bi-metal.

It is definitely worth checking out, though. Assuming everything checks out, and even if it's just the 1/2" and 1" blades that are carbide, you are looking at a very good deal.

John

Ben Rafael
02-03-2008, 3:59 PM
Ed, why do you say "Unless you intend to resaw thousands of board feet of hardwood, the upgraded motor is worth nothin".?

Shouldn't more hp be a help on harder and thicker woods?

Jim O'Dell
02-03-2008, 4:27 PM
Ben, the extra hp would be better. But the 2 1/2 hp motor that comes on it is pretty stout. It's bigger than most comparably priced saws it competes against. Jim.

Kev Coleman
02-03-2008, 10:03 PM
I am not sure thats the greatest deal around. I bought a fairly low use mm16 for 1500 to give you a perspective.

Chris Cobb
02-03-2008, 10:09 PM
thanks everyone for the comments and considerations. Really underscores th evalue of SMC. I've traded emails with the guy selling it, but have not has a chance to go see it.

Perhaps I'll stick with the Rikon I've bee nlooking at (or the Grizzly 513x2).

Ed Beers
02-04-2008, 12:00 AM
Ed, why do you say "Unless you intend to resaw thousands of board feet of hardwood, the upgraded motor is worth nothin".?

Shouldn't more hp be a help on harder and thicker woods?

It will cut a little faster but saving 15 seconds ripping some wood won't make any real difference in your woodworking experience. It might help your ego a little.

Bob Hallowell
02-04-2008, 7:55 AM
Why would he of replaced the tires with only 10 hours of use? BTW I just got a great deal on the steel city 18" and all I can say is wow! I love it it cuts through anything and lines up perfect.

Bob

Chris Cobb
02-04-2008, 12:06 PM
I appreciate the comments - really shows the value of SMC. I've learned a lot just from the responses.

At this point, I'm likely just going to pass on the deal. Too many things that seems strange (new tires, different motor...). I thought this one was the MM16 that everone raves about, and did not catch the differerence inititally. Just does not seem to be a good enough deal for me to pursue.

So, at this point, I'm back to thinking about a Grizz or the Rikon. Also looking to figure out if spending the extra $250 is worth it to go to the 18" (Rikon) or 17" (Grizz 0513x2) over the 14" Delux Rikon. But that is a different thread.

--Chris