PDA

View Full Version : routing a pocket in a cheese board

paul wiser
02-02-2008, 10:22 PM
need help learning how to route a pocket in a cheese board to hold crackers. saw one in acornwood products website. what bit would i use to route the pattern and what bit to hog it out? many thanks to anyone who replies:confused::confused::confused:

Lance Norris
02-02-2008, 10:51 PM
Id use Whiteside 1376B Its a bowl & tray bit with a top bearing. Cut a template with a bandsaw, scroll saw or jig saw with the shape of the pocket and clamp this on top of your cutting board where you want the pocket. Use the template to guide the bearing. The same bit will do your edge and hog out the middle. If you want the pocket really deep, you need a collet extension. I got mine from MLCS. Oh... and use a plunge router.

paul wiser
02-04-2008, 8:56 PM
lance, thank you very much for the information. will be very helpful to me. happy woodworking!!!;) ;) ;)

Bill Huber
02-04-2008, 9:43 PM
Lance is right on target, the only change I would make is not using a bearing. I used a 1/2 inch bit with a 5/8 ID guide bushing and that way you can take small cuts at a time. This is important when doing this as you don't want to burn the wood, small cuts and slower speeds will help also not to burn the wood.

You can also use turners tape to hold the template on the cutting board. I used the tape on all of my boards this year for the groove and it works just fine.