PDA

View Full Version : Took jointer to benchtop

Doug Mason
02-02-2008, 9:05 PM
The workbench is a tool--nothing more. So why have I been so reluctant to flatten the top? Probably because I paid something like $1,800 for. It's a Duenfincg (spelling??)--a German company. Anyhow, this morning I said the hell with it--I took the vises off and went at it with my 22 inch jointer plane. The results were outstanding. Tomorrow I'll true up the vises and put some oil on it (if I get that far). The vises will be tough to get square to the top.

By the way--this particular bench from the aforementioned company was reviewed in FWW awhile back--and I agree with their assesment of it.

Michael Faurot
02-02-2008, 10:03 PM
It's a Duenfincg (spelling??)--a German company.

Diefenbach (http://www.diefenbachworkbenches.com/index.html)?

By the way--this particular bench from the aforementioned company was reviewed in FWW awhile back--and I agree with their assesment of it.

I'm not familiar with that article. Does your agreement mean it's a good bench? I've been looking around at some of the different ones myself--for when I have enough money. :) Some will say, "make it yourself." I'm thinking I'd like to instead get a good quality one such as those from Lie-Nielsen or Diefenbach.

Justin Grow
02-02-2008, 10:05 PM
I'm in the process of building my bench. Initially I though I'd gotten my top for a real bargain at ikea. Its a solid beech finger joined countertop thats about 1.5" thick. Huge too. Well, In settling over the past few months, its developed quite a crown. About 1/4" at the highest... I'll be flattening it soon as well, though I think I'm going to use the router as described here:
http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/ProjectsAndDesign/ProjectsAndDesignArticle.aspx?id=3338

I dont have a proper jointer yet... though I'm sure I'll be doing my final flatening by hand.

I'm beginning to think I should have just bought a bench.

Marcus Ward
02-03-2008, 9:59 AM
Heck with the router, do it with a hand plane, it'll take less by hand than it takes to set up that router gizmo.

JayStPeter
02-03-2008, 11:46 AM
If there's a finish on the bottom of the benchtop, I'd get the finish back on the top asap. I left mine overnight and had to spend another 20 minutes reflattening it because the edges came up overnight.