PDA

View Full Version : Electrical/Wiring manuals - Suggestions?

Charles Wilson
02-02-2008, 8:13 PM
From an experience standpoint I have little to no experience with wiring. I am interested in learning how to do some household wiring. Can anyone suggest any books that are good teaching books?

Thanks in advance,

Chuck

Jim Becker
02-02-2008, 9:27 PM
I have and like the Black and Decker book on home wiring. It covers "most" topics.

Bernhard Lampert
02-03-2008, 10:41 AM
"Wiring a House" by Rex Cauldwell. Be sure to get the most recent addition, which covers the new NEC.
It is a very good book, not only teaches proper and safe technique, but also makes useful suggestion for practical use.
I basically used the book as a 'check list' when I wired my house.

Cheers,
Bernhard

Brad Townsend
02-03-2008, 11:34 AM
I'll second Jim's motion for the Black & Decker book. It's written in plain English and has lot's of good pictures. It's also easy to get, as it can be found at most home centers.

Wayne Cannon
02-03-2008, 1:00 PM
I highly recommend Mullin's "Electrical Wiring Residential". It's very good, but may be a little much for some. The Black and Decker book is likely all you'll need for most shop needs, however.

Rob Wright
02-03-2008, 1:43 PM
I also ditto Jim's and Brad's B&D recommendation. I would also suggest that you pick up a copy of "Code Check". It is a wire-spiral-bound book that really gets into the code and alerts you to potential problems.

-outlet spacing
-appliance outlets
-box sizes and number of conductors allowed

I picked it up at the BORG for a few dollars and it has been worth it. I have pulled it out during the rough inspection to show the inspector why I did something a certain way.

- Rob

Ed Jolin
02-03-2008, 2:57 PM
I've used "Wiring Simplified" by Richter/Schwann/Hartwell. My HD sells it in the electrical section (not the books section) in a plastic wrap. It's a pretty good mix of practical and technical. It is not a step by step guide for small projects, but instead gives a lot of the basic strategies that you need to know to do most jobs.

Carroll Courtney
02-03-2008, 3:08 PM
Uglys Hand Book,is a must have book.Has wire sizes and amps,how to wire all kinds of motors.Several formulas that the trade uses and some will come in handy for the homeowner.It will not tell you how to run wire from point A to B,but it will tell you that #12 is good for 20amps etc.I have one and use it at work and at home when I need to be reminded.

Dave MacArthur
02-03-2008, 3:54 PM
I also have the B&D book, and another one I really like is the Home Depot book--that one has good drawings of most circuits you'd be working.

Daryl Upole
02-03-2008, 9:34 PM
HI,

I've had good luck going to my local library or university library and finding what they have. Usually, it's pretty limited but it's a start. But, they can get an interlibrary loan from other libraries as well.

Then, when I find the book that suits my need, I look for it on half.com. I've built a good reference library this way for a reasonable cost. Plus, I don't end up with a bunch of books that aren't really what I'm looking for.

There are good posts here on specific books to try also.

Dave Watkins
02-03-2008, 11:29 PM
I've got the Cauldwell book also, in fact I refered to it just yesterday. He covers the whole range, tools, to the science behind electricity, to installing a service entrance, panel, then everything wthin the house. Good practical advice with obvious real world experience.

Good luck and be safe,

Dave

Gene Michael
02-03-2008, 11:57 PM
I agree with Jim Becker on the Black and Decker book. It's an easy reference to follow with its color coded diagrams. The only fault I found with it is that the national code for the past several years specifies arc fault breakers for bedrooms. The B&D book doesn't mention this. Locally, they enforce this for the outlet circuits only, but I understand that some areas require arc fault breakers for bedroom lighting circuits as well.