PDA

View Full Version : Bevel cut tearout

Matt P
02-02-2008, 8:12 PM
Hi,
I crosscut this 1x2 oak on a table saw (new 60 tooth freud blade), at a 45-degree bevel. I got this tearout on the trailing edge of the cut (see pic). I didn't get tearout when I crosscut with no bevel (90-degrees). Does anyone know why I got this tearout? It's not too too bad, but nevertheless...

tx,
Matt

Bob Wingard
02-02-2008, 8:56 PM
Check your blade alignment with the blade tilted. Many saws aren't setup quite correctly in this respect. If it is off, you will need to add shims to get the horizontal axis of tilt perfectly parallel to the table top. Harder to explain than to do.

glenn bradley
02-02-2008, 9:05 PM
My first guess is that the blade is misaligning when beveled. This plagues a lot of saws where the motor hangs out the back as the assembly gets torqued a bit. What type of TS is it. If it is a contractor style saw there have been quite a few threads here on correcting the problem. If your motor is mounted under your blade it still looks like an alignment issue but will be addressed a bit differently. Again, try the Google search feature here at the Creek. I think you'll find quite a bit of info.

Matt P
02-03-2008, 12:00 AM
It is a Dewalt contractor table saw, DW745. I checked and the blade is out of parallel with the miter slot when set to bevel 45deg. Compared with the left miter slot, the front of the blade is closer to the slot than the rear by about 1/16 or 1/32". I still can't envision how this would cause tearout though..

Joe Chritz
02-03-2008, 12:03 AM
The carbide is designed to cut when it hits the wood a certain way and the sides "rub" a bit causing the tear out. There are other reason but that is the first I thought of.

Shim it to bring it in and I'll bet it goes away.

Joe

glenn bradley
02-03-2008, 12:09 AM
I still can't envision how this would cause tearout though..

I am assuming you are using a miter gauge or other miter slot guided fixture to pass your wood through the blade. If the blade is not parallel to the path of the material (your wood and miter gauge assumed here) the cut is made on one plane while the material is passing by on another. This causes different results depending on the difference in paths. Tear out, burning, chatter, etc. are some symptoms of this situation.

I had a similar problem with a previous saw and got a lot of burning during fence guided bevel cuts. Proper adjustment solved the problem. The trick for me was getting things to align at 90* and at other angles.