PDA

View Full Version : Working with granite

John Miliunas
03-05-2004, 5:06 PM
We're planning on granite for the counter in the upcoming bathroom re-do. I've already got the granite promised to me (from a previous trade of equipment) and I know you can cut the stuff with a concrete saw. BUT, how the heck does a guy get a hole in the middle of the stuff for the sink?! :confused: Is this something one can do themselves or should I start looking now for a pro outfit? :cool:

Jim Becker
03-05-2004, 5:15 PM
Honestly...I'd suggest you use a pro. There is more to this than just cutting, too, since there is a lot of manual polishing to complete the job as well as dealing with edges, etc. The pros use water-cooled equipment and most use CNC gear to cut those holes! Soapstone you would work yourself quite easily with woodworking tools, although it's a messy job. I chose to sub that out, too, just to make sure it got done right and quickly. The labor cost wasn't all that bad, frankly and I did price out material only.

Chris Padilla
03-05-2004, 5:19 PM
John,

Take Mr. Becker's advice and hire someone with the know-how and tools. Basically, they all use diamond-impregnated saws, router bits, blades, etc. And, most of it is water-cooled and thus quite messy. Corian? Soapstone? Head out to your shop and have a ball. Granite? Farm it out.

Michael Perata
03-05-2004, 5:24 PM
We're planning on granite for the counter in the upcoming bathroom re-do. I've already got the granite promised to me (from a previous trade of equipment) and I know you can cut the stuff with a concrete saw. BUT, how the heck does a guy get a hole in the middle of the stuff for the sink?! :confused: Is this something one can do themselves or should I start looking now for a pro outfit? :cool:
John

It is simply a matter of the right tools and alot of coolant. The problem you'll have with the sink cut-out is whether the sink will be hung underneath (the problem) or set on top. If the sink hangs then the edge needs to be finished and that takes a fair amount of skill. But it can be done if you have the patience to take your time and think through the process.

Most stone cutters use air powered tools and diamond tooling. Expensive and while the air tools can be rented, the tooling needs to be bought.

Good luck.

Jamie Buxton
03-05-2004, 5:50 PM
John --

Like the other posters, I've always chosen to sub out slab stone counters. However, I have noticed http://www.diygranite.com/ , which is an outfit which claims DIYers can do it, and provides support tools.

On the other hand, slab granite tops are getting remarkably inexpensive in my area (San Francisco). There are outfits which are advertising countertops at $25-$45 per square foot, installed. The counters have a bullnose edge which is 1.5" tall. Sink and faucet cutouts are extra.

And a third way to go is to use 12" granite tile. Lay them butted tight to each other, and the grout line isn't too bad. Tiling is completely within the DIYer's range, and the materials price is way less than slab.

Jamie

Glenn Clabo
03-05-2004, 5:53 PM
John...Think Pro. There are many things that I've tried and there are many things things that I failed. Putting down a 2 car concrete garage floor was #1...trying to work granite was #2. Ugly was the only word that describes both.

Robert Ducharme
03-05-2004, 11:59 PM
Go Pro. All our granite and marble was done by pros and I have never been sorry.

Since you are working with a smaller piece, if you totally mess it up you can probably have someone else put on another slab. Don't forget that granite even harder then black locust. :cool:

I expect that you will have a hard tiime doing the finishing edges both for a nice rounded bullnose as well as a straight line. Not because of rushing the job or incompentence but because the tools that give that clean polished look are well beyond the DIYer.

One thought is to check with some funeral stone places. They may be willing to do some ad hoc work, if you give them clean templates, at a much reduced price.

John Miliunas
03-06-2004, 12:15 AM
Thanks for all the responses and tips. Yeah, I kind of figured I couldn't cheap out on this one! 'Course, the granite itself was a trade for my former Ryobi benchtop planer and my buddy said I could have enough granite to do both, our bathroom AND three counters in the kitchen! The Ryobi was is decent shape, but not THAT good! :D They were all takeouts from various remodels and he's got quite a variety stacked up and several which are quite BIG pieces. LOML fell in love with the idea, so it would really make her happy if I could pull this off.

Will start sourcing out places that might be able to handle this for us. Thanks again! :cool: