PDA

View Full Version : DC Hose

Mike Goetzke
02-02-2008, 6:20 PM
I once remember seeing someone post that they had found 4" DC hose that was smooth on the inside (no bumps from the wire). Anyone have it or hear of it?

I was working on my DC system and found the 10' run of clear hose I got from rockler is very restrictive.

Thanks,

Mike

Jeffrey Makiel
02-02-2008, 6:52 PM
Mike,
Most flex hose available at woodworker retailers are quite restrictive. In commercial industry, I use to spec double wall flex hose that had a smooth interior. It was very expensive, but was worth it in an industrial environment moving large particulate matter all day long. It's also more rigid and heavy in weight.

The best I can recommend is that you keep your use of flex duct to a minimum and use hard duct for the primary runs.

-Jeff :)

M Toupin
02-02-2008, 6:53 PM
Surprisingly, the HF 4" hose is really decent. It's smooth on the inside and doesn't collapse or or compress lengthwise under suction. For $42 I didn't even feel bad about throwing out the crappy blast gates:)

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93601

Mike

Greg Peterson
02-02-2008, 7:50 PM
What I'm trying to figure out is why are folks running 4" hose if the inlet on the impeller is 5"?

Is the 4" easier to handle?

I have the HF DC and it has a 5" inlet and outlet. I plan on using 5" flex hose.

M Toupin
02-02-2008, 8:15 PM
What I'm trying to figure out is why are folks running 4" hose if the inlet on the impeller is 5"?

I plan on using 5" flex hose.

When you find 5" dia, smooth bore flex hose let us know if you still feel that way on either account.

$42 for two 10 foot pieces is a vary attractive price for those needing to move from machine to machine. Never said it was perfect, just feasible.

Mike

Mike Goetzke
02-02-2008, 8:21 PM

Is the 4" easier to handle?

I have the HF DC and it has a 5" inlet and outlet. I plan on using 5" flex hose.

I use my DC like a central DC system. I have smooth metal duct work drops close to some of my tools, but, I must share my garage/shop with my wifes vehicle. I roll my TS, RT, etc... to the free space in the garage when the car is absent. So I need about a 10' section of hose for many of these tools. I have good air flow at the solid connection point but can feel a noticable difference when I attach the hose.

Mike

Josiah Bartlett
02-02-2008, 9:58 PM
I have the HF hose as well and it is a bargain. It is pretty smooth on the inside. I've never had it clog.

Greg Peterson
02-03-2008, 1:04 PM
When you find 5" dia, smooth bore flex hose let us know if you still feel that way on either account.

Well on that count, I'd settle for a 4" smooth bore flex hose, but that doesn't seem to be an option either. Flex hose and smooth bore seem to be mutually exclusive.

That said, all things being equal, a 5" flex hose offers less resistance than a 4" hose.

Thom Sturgill
02-03-2008, 2:24 PM
From what I could find, 5" flex hose is about $60-70 for 5 ft length. Pretty pricey, especially considering one would need to either choke it down to 4" or modify the outlets at each machine.

Mike Goetzke
02-03-2008, 3:25 PM
O.K. - I found the problem! The gate wasn't opening fully. It seemed to be hitting a stop but looked down the hose and saw it was only 3/4 open.