PDA

View Full Version : Lasering Sign Shop Materials

Michael Webster
02-02-2008, 6:17 PM
I have been using my laser for wood, but have been asked by a sign shop to laser engrave / cut the following materials.

- polypropylene
- polystyrene
- polyethylene
- Styrene
- High Density Foam, Signfoam or Precision Board
- Foam core Gator Board (has a polystyrene core and either paper or clay facing paper)

Is it safe to laser engrave and laser cut these materials. Any safety concerns? Any suggestions for using an Epilog Legend EXT on these materials?

Thanks,

Mike (a newbie at plastics)

Larry Bratton
02-02-2008, 6:58 PM
Mike:
I'm not a chemist but DO NOT laser anything that contains PVC. I don't believe any of those do, but reserve judgement for other responses. I can tell you that I cut plain old foam insulation board all the time. We have sign makers in this area that make out well selling it for letters and numbers. A 4x8 sheet at Lowes is about $10.00. They get a LOT more than that for the letters in place.

You may have various results on the listed materials if they are laserable.

Bill Morrison
02-03-2008, 11:17 AM
You can go to almost any of the websites that sell lasers and they have lists of things that you cannot or should not laser. Larry is correct, PVC should never be lasered under any conditions. Google material not to laser and you should find a few lists.
Bill

Joe Pelonio
02-03-2008, 11:54 AM
I have cut all of those materials with no problem after checking into their chemical composition. Polystyrene (Styrene is short for Polystyrene) does tend to leave a slightly rolled edge.

Vicky Orsini
02-04-2008, 8:05 AM
The makers of SignFoam have told me that it is not a good idea to laser engrave it. I forget the exact reason why, though. Sorry. :o

Rob Bosworth
02-04-2008, 4:00 PM
Because the foam core is pretty heat sensitive and pulls back from the edge of the cut. You can cut it, but it leaves a hollowed out edge.

Joe Pelonio
02-04-2008, 4:12 PM
Because the foam core is pretty heat sensitive and pulls back from the edge of the cut. You can cut it, but it leaves a hollowed out edge.

I should have mentioned that, foam core does it too. The paper covered as well as the styrene coated. It cuts with a nice even concave edge. On the paper type that leaves it pretty weak and vulnerable to nicks.

Michael Webster
02-04-2008, 6:00 PM
All very good advice and tips. Thank you very much. Very interesting on the foam insulation board, I'll have to make a trip to Lowes.