PDA

View Full Version : DIY Mobile Base for Drill Press

Randy Klein
02-02-2008, 6:15 PM
Just finished the mobile base for my drill press, but it could be adapted for any tool. I forget where I got the idea from, either here or Woodnet.

The main goal was to raise the working height minimally. It's probably slightly over-built, but better than under-built I guess. The tool base is bolted to a sheet of 3/4" plywood that is oversized 3-1/2" (2x4's width) in each direction from the tool's base. I then built up the height using 2x4's until the casters could hang. All the 2x4's were then bolted and glued to the plywood sheet. So the load is being transfered through the bolts, to the top 2x4, and then to the casters. So that is why I have so many bolts.

I really like this base better than the Woodcraft/plywood bases I have on my other tools. Especially since I was able to extend the tool's footprint in what I considered appropriate directions for stability purposes.

Of course, before I actually placed the tool on it, I did the appropriate amount of scientific load testing. Both my wife and I stood in the middle and bounced. Together we are easily over 350lbs, so I knew the 275lb drill press would be held fine.

Randy Klein
02-03-2008, 10:39 AM
Ah, man. 12+ hours and not a single reply. Which means I must do an inconspicuous self-bump.

I think I know why though, those crosscuts are real ugly aren't they. Not one is square to any face really. But my 3 year old helped me build this, so I used a BORG pull saw for cutting (first time) and he "caught" the fall off. But he knows what a fender washer is now...

Deck Reagan
02-03-2008, 10:58 AM
Randy,
Nice job. I'm glad you posted photos. I have a craftsman 17" I have been wanting to make mobile.

Thanks,

Deck

Peter Quadarella
02-03-2008, 11:02 AM
That's great Randy, thanks for sharing. I may do something like this. Do you feel it has added stability to the drill press due to the wider footprint or decreased stability due to the mobility? Also, how did you get the drill press onto the base? Does the single sheet of plywood feel sufficient - did you thinkin about doing 2?

I have the same drill press and am thinking about doing something like this.

Brian Kent
02-03-2008, 11:08 AM
I like the design, getting a very solid base while keeping the tool close to the floor. I have a router table that is the right height right now before I put it on a base and I was wondering how to add less than an inch.

Good job.

Rich Engelhardt
02-03-2008, 11:37 AM
Hello,

Nice!

Open for a small suggestion?
I believe I'd put a cover on the base to keep things (bits, chuck key,etc.) from falling through. DAMHIKT:o

Randy Klein
02-03-2008, 12:19 PM
Do you feel it has added stability to the drill press due to the wider footprint or decreased stability due to the mobility?

I think the increased center of gravity is offset by the increased footprint, so the stability is probably the same as before. I did give it a few hip checks to see how stable it was, and it would take a pretty good push to get things toppling. However, if the wheels aren't locked when the push happens, it may catastrophically topple easier. So I'm still rather careful when moving it, but I've already rolled over small objects with no issues in stability.

Also, how did you get the drill press onto the base?

I carefully rocked the DP (after removing all removable accesories) onto an assembly table until it was on its side. I put some styrofoam under the head to protect it (I chose the side of the head that had nothing on it - the left). Then I happened to have a garbage can that was the right height to support the tool's base as I undid the base screws. Once the base was off, I built the mobile base to fit the tool's base and then reversed the process. It was a 1-man job, but I had the wife on stand-by to administer the CPR, just in case.

Does the single sheet of plywood feel sufficient - did you thinkin about doing 2?

The single sheet felt fine. Like I mentioned, we tested it out by bouncing on it with 350+ lbs and it held fine. I think before I went to a second sheet of ply (which would raise the height a little more) I would have tried using a flat metal stock under the plywood, drilled for the bolts. The metal stock would have been like a super washer. But as it were, the fenders were enough.

Randy Klein
02-03-2008, 12:21 PM
Open for a small suggestion?
I believe I'd put a cover on the base to keep things (bits, chuck key,etc.) from falling through. DAMHIKT:o

Always appreciate suggestions. And I already had that happen to me. Those magnetic extension pickups are real handy :D.

I was thinking of either putting a cover on like you say or putting a 50lb bag of play sand down to add more weight and if done right, would act like a cover as well.

Jason Beam
02-03-2008, 2:39 PM
The 350+lbs test was probably fine, I doubt you'd lug more than 75lbs of workpiece onto it for drilling, but that's always something I forget to consider. Not just the weight of the tool, but the "Working load" of the tool in use :)

Looks good - I need to build something for mine, as I know for SURE that one day my little rocking-walking method of moving my drill press is gonna chip that cast iron base for sure.

Dave MacArthur
02-03-2008, 4:26 PM
Great job Randy! Really like the beefiness.
I stood out in the garage for an hour last night (ok, I was drinking scotch and sitting in my Thinking Chair), thinking about how I could build a nice base cabinet on top of my drill press mobile base, to store all my drills etc. I also thought about how my thinking chair wasn't as nice as some guys posted in the "thinking chair" thread, and how I always wished I could just ignore threads that make me very mad. Ergo the scotch ;)

Anyways, I have an HTC mobile base on mine, and yours looks better--especially when thinking about mounting a small cabinet on top of it. I can't remember who recently posted a nice one--probably Glenn. I'm sure your 3yo had a good time!

Stephen Edwards
04-09-2008, 9:31 AM
Just finished the mobile base for my drill press, but it could be adapted for any tool. I forget where I got the idea from, either here or Woodnet.

The main goal was to raise the working height minimally. It's probably slightly over-built, but better than under-built I guess. The tool base is bolted to a sheet of 3/4" plywood that is oversized 3-1/2" (2x4's width) in each direction from the tool's base. I then built up the height using 2x4's until the casters could hang. All the 2x4's were then bolted and glued to the plywood sheet. So the load is being transfered through the bolts, to the top 2x4, and then to the casters. So that is why I have so many bolts.

I really like this base better than the Woodcraft/plywood bases I have on my other tools. Especially since I was able to extend the tool's footprint in what I considered appropriate directions for stability purposes.

Of course, before I actually placed the tool on it, I did the appropriate amount of scientific load testing. Both my wife and I stood in the middle and bounced. Together we are easily over 350lbs, so I knew the 275lb drill press would be held fine.

Randy, Thanks for sharing your pics! I just built a similiar one for my bandsaw. I hadn't considered doing what you did for DP but I LIKE it. Excellent idea!