PDA

View Full Version : Bosch router with edge guide kit a good buy?

Louis Brandt
02-02-2008, 6:13 PM
Hello,
I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a Bosch 1617EVSPK 2 base router for $219 at Lowe's, and this one comes with the edge guide kit (which I've seen Bosch say is worth $100 by itself). Based on my experience in shopping for this router, it very seldom has the edge guide kit included with it, so I'm wondering whether this may be the bonus that makes up my mind for me. Has anyone bought this router with the edge guide kit and if so, is the edge guide kit a worthwhile item to have?
Thanks,
Louis

Dwain Lambrigger
02-02-2008, 6:21 PM
Worth it. Been very happy with both. It is one of those things that you are glad you have when you need it. I also paid $220. from Lowes two years ago.

Very good router. Very happy with my decision to buy.

Matt Mutus
02-02-2008, 6:23 PM
bought the same for 200 at western tool. Very pleased.

frank shic
02-02-2008, 6:23 PM
you can use a router edge guide for routing flutes, cutting mortises and dados which is why i originally bought one but then i sold it off on ebay after realizing i could just buy prefluted stock, use a festool domino for the mortises and use a portable table saw to cut the slots. the bosch router is a keeper, though.

Wade Lippman
02-02-2008, 6:28 PM
I bought them separately, hated and sold the edge guide, but the router is fine.

John Buzzurro
02-02-2008, 7:02 PM
I've got the edge guide (purchased separately), and have been very happy with it.

Anthony Whitesell
02-02-2008, 7:27 PM
I purchased the same for the same price from Rockler. Nice router, lots of stuff available for the Bosch. Do be warned that it does NOT accept the porter cable style bushings, BUT there is an adapter available or you can purchase the Bosch guide set. The other nice thing about the kit is that it also includes the centering cone and both 1/4" and 1/2" bushings, and the fixed base is adjustable from the bottom (with the wrench included in the set also). There is also a Bosch router table base (RA1165 I think) for this router.

Can you tell I really like mine?

Charles Wilson
02-02-2008, 7:49 PM
I have the router and have been pleased with it.

Enjoy.

Chuck

Mike Goetzke
02-02-2008, 8:27 PM
I bought that kit a couple of years ago. With the edge guide well worth $220. My edge guide also lets you do circles - see if the Lowe's does too.

Mike

Brian Penning
02-02-2008, 9:55 PM
I bought that kit a couple of years ago. With the edge guide well worth $220. My edge guide also lets you do circles - see if the Lowe's does too.
Mike

Mike» Have you actually made circles with it? Myself and some others have reported that the fine adjustment guide bottom rubs against the top of pivot plate. Also the fine adjustment guide itself is lower than the router base plate so the bit isn't perpendicular to the work.
Bosch acknowledged there is a problem with it.

BTW I'm happy with the kit itself.

jason lambert
02-02-2008, 10:40 PM
Worth it. That is my favorite router in fact I have 3 if you get it and need the plunge base, d handle base or a extra regular base to mount it in the table let me know I have a couple laying around. (yes this is a shameless plug to clear gurage space)