PDA

View Full Version : Why am I getting so little sawdust?

Wade Lippman
02-02-2008, 5:00 PM
I just upgraded from a contractors saw to a cabinet saw.
I used to get a blizzard of dust thrown at me above the table, but am getting very little now.

I can think of three explanations...
1) I was very careful to set the new saw up properly, while I just used the old one the way the previous owner had it. Possibly the blade wasn't square to the fence, so it was catching wood at the rear.
2) Dust collection is simply much better on the cabinet saw, so it gets sucked out instead of staying in the blade to be release above the table.
3) I am infatuated with the new saw and the sawdust is probably about the same.

Whatcha think?

James Wellman
02-02-2008, 5:18 PM
I and going to guess #3 and #2 in that order :D

John Thompson
02-02-2008, 5:27 PM
Compare the dust extraction components on your contractor saw to the cabinet saw and you will answer your own question, Wade. I would take a wild guess that you don't have anything major you could call dust collection components on you contractor saw. You probably have at least a funneled chute on your cabiniet saw that directs to the port. And you have a big hole in *ss end of the contractor where the motor hangs out.

You didn't mention what type cabinet as dust components vary from one to the other.

Regards...

Sarge..

Phil Thien
02-02-2008, 5:45 PM
If your new cabinet saw has a blade shroud connected to the DC port, that would probably explain much of the difference. If not, then you may be fantasizing (and there are better fantasies than a dustless tablesaw, BTW).

Sean Troy
02-02-2008, 6:32 PM
If your new cabinet saw has a blade shroud connected to the DC port, that would probably explain much of the difference. If not, then you may be fantasizing (and there are better fantasies than a dustless tablesaw, BTW).

There is? http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon10.gif

scott spencer
02-02-2008, 6:37 PM
...4) You're babying that new saw and haven't put it through the paces yet!

:D ;)

David Giles
02-02-2008, 8:45 PM
Are you spending less money on wood these days? If so, there's your answer!

Josiah Bartlett
02-02-2008, 9:51 PM
Zero clearance inserts (or less clearance inserts) also tend to either help the situation a lot or make it worse, depending on if the chips are clearing the teeth below the table or above. Also, if your old saw wasn't tracking straight and was cutting on the upstroke side of the blade the dust will fly in your face. Also, some blades throw chips of different sizes than others.

Also, some cabinet saws run the blade at lower RPM than contractor's saws, so that helps too.

Bob Stritzke
02-02-2008, 11:21 PM
I'll pick number 1: the contractor saw was not tuned. If it's still available check it out.

glenn bradley
02-02-2008, 11:29 PM
5) We're all jealous of anyone's new anything and so will try to persuade you that you are delusional ;-)

Seriously, I could buy any of your three possibilities.

Joe Chritz
02-03-2008, 12:10 AM
6) There is no spoon.

Joe

glenn bradley
02-03-2008, 12:22 AM
6) There is no spoon.

:D:D:D:D Oh boy . . . that one got me . . . Thanks for the laugh.

Rick Potter
02-03-2008, 3:36 AM
The missing sawdust is all in the bottom of the cabinet.

Rick Potter

Lee Koepke
02-03-2008, 8:58 AM
6) There is no spoon.

Joe
:D:D

Nice one Joe....Nice.