PDA

View Full Version : Sony computers?? long

Tom Sweeney
03-05-2004, 3:31 PM
I'm trying to get up the nerve to pull the trigger on a very big purchase, considering my current employment status. I need a new computer for my web design biz. I do a lot of graphic work with "basic" graphics plus some programming. My old Athlon 1Ghz AMD machine is Ok for that - but I'm running out of hard drive space & running win 98 - plus I've already upgraded once to get to this point so the motherboard & all is old technology.

I'm thinking about a DVD burning machine so I can burn all our daughters videos (she's been the lead in 3 school plays + other stuff) into DVD's - plus I just like playing with that kind of stuff & I could offer the service to my existing clients.

I was trying to stay around $1,000 without a monitor - but as usual that is just below the specs of what I really need to do the DVD stuff easily.

I've always had a friend build my computers from scratch & never owned a Sony. He can build me one to specs for about $1,250 (without software & with XP home)

I found a real mack daddy Sonny VAIO Digital Studio™ RZ54G Desktop. this is a 3.2 /200gig/512MB/ DVD -+RW with all the Sony Graphics & video software included. It also has TV out graphics & XP Media center OS. I don't really "need" this puter but I can buy it & this will probably last me for a long time. I could probably "get by" with a $1,000 machine but I'd still have to buy all the software & with the Sony all the graphic/media stuff is integrated into the system. Problem is it's $1,600.
I think I can get the CFO to Ok the purchase - cause she sees me getting frustrated with my puter crashing a lot.

Sooooo anybody have any experience with Sony puters? Are they as good as they look? Anybody do DVD editing & burning - is this more than I need? I don't think I need the 3.2Ghz but it's the best bang for the buck Sony media machine. I actually wanted 1 Gig of Ram but I can buy another 512 if I need it later it will hold up to 2 gigs so expansion is no prob.

If you're interested you can see the model I'm thinking about here:
http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=tOG7ZBJa0FW7VVISdPqxb11XzYIN0TqzxVE=?Pro ductSKU=PCVRZ54G

Any help or advice would be appreciated - I'm having trouble pulling the trigger but I do need a new computer & the $499 Dells would not suit my business needs - though they are fine for 85% of puter users.

Tyler Howell
03-05-2004, 3:44 PM
Tom,

I've been studying for the A+ N+ Cert (Required for worK)
One of the guys in my class works For for the big blue box megga chain as a bench tech and he says they have the Sonys piled floor to ceiling.
TV, VCR, or DVD I'd take it in a heart beat but they haven't (IHHO) figured Digital Cams and PCs Yet.
Two big time Graffics friends are MAC people???

Glenn Clabo
03-05-2004, 4:09 PM
Tom,
I've bought 10 VAIO LapTops for the people in my program and for myself over the last year. We take them everywhere... including submarines...and use them as our desktops. One is running right beside me right now. Not 1 problem...period. Of course every computer is great until something goes wrong... so TIFWIW.

Tom Sweeney
03-05-2004, 4:13 PM
I'm usually just a make the decision & do it kind of guy - but I've been thinking on this one for weeks. I have a friend that highly recommends the Sony's & she runs a sign shop - go figure??????

I'm not a Mac guy - Though I don't doubt they are the best for high end graphics work I don't want go that route. My brother in Houston owns a print shop & he recently bought a G5 with the OSX or panther ,tiger whatever OS - he says it's the machine for graphics work.
Any other opinions on what way I should go?

Michael Perata
03-05-2004, 6:08 PM
Tom

Since you already made the cut from the Intel crowd with an Athlon, why not put together an Athlon 64 SCREAMER. Probably do it for less than the Sony (which is a good box, BTW). And you would have the thought that you put the PC together yourself.

You have the monitor, case, keyboard and mouse - you are almost there, go for it. Build you next computer.

Michael Perata
03-05-2004, 6:25 PM
Posted twice, sorry.

Tom Sweeney
03-05-2004, 6:44 PM
So that's 2 (3 with Michaels) for Sony & 1 against - hopefully I'll get more ;)
Michael - my 3rd option at this point is an athlon 64 screamer 3 Ghz mostly the same otherwhise but with a 160 HD. It's already built by a big off brand, systemax. It comes out at just about $75 less than the Sony without all the software. I just don't have time to put one together myself - I think I could do it - I know enough about hardware to be dangerous - but I don't think it's a good idea for me right now.

BTW Glenn - I got your PM - thank you - You sir are a class act. :cool:

John Cole
03-05-2004, 8:12 PM
I've had a sony desktop - a PCV-RX560 Digital Studio for a couple of years now - rock solid machine. I've owned Dell, Gateway, Compaq, Toshiba, No-name, you name it ! I'd buy another Sony anyday.

Jim Becker
03-05-2004, 9:11 PM
Sony makes a nice product and their tiny notebooks are especially sweet for folks on the go.

I just pulled the trigger on a Dell 4600C two days ago with all the bells and whistles. 3ghz, 1gig ram, upgraded video, etc. I was also able to score their top-rated 19" flat screen as a "refurb" and save a bundle on the monitor as I really want to retire my 19" NEC 6fg tube. (Works really great...I'm just interested in something new after using it for about 9 years with four different computers!) The only bummer with Dell is that PA residents now have to pay sales tax since they opened a bunch of stores in the state. But the free shipping, free RAM, CDRW and HD upgrades and my EBates rebate somewhat made up for that.

The key thing about buying a computer is to put the money into the things that you really need...processor, ram and video...and make sure you have the interfaces for whatever peripherals are necessary.

Ian Barley
03-07-2004, 2:58 PM
I have used and specified Sony in the past. My opinion ( valued at the price you paid for it) is that they make good products to inovative designs. They often include features that are not available on other manufacturers or are not available in the same combinations. BUT they are more expensive (certainly over here in UK) on a performance matching basis than less design oriented suppliers.

I have limited experience of their software, basically only having used the stuff that comes with their Net MD minidisc player. The quality of this is not fantastic. There are stupid factors in the user interface that mean that if I could buy an alternative that would work with the hardware I would. I know that this is not directly relevant to you video editing but it would make me want to check the value of this "free" software.

So that means if they have something that you need and it isn't available elsewhere, buy with confidence. If the only thing thay have that makes a difference is the name, buy elsewhere.

Hope that helps

Byron Trantham
03-09-2004, 12:53 PM
I have 2 (one for me and one for LOML) of the Vaios and love them. They have been running 24/7 for about 3 years. I haven't found one thing that didn't just "plug 'n play." They are networked and connected to a high speed Internet connection. We have the 15" LCD monitor.

We.ve been toying with upgrading to their newer units.

John Miliunas
03-09-2004, 1:29 PM
Well Tom, I don't know how you'll tally my particular "vote". I guess Sony PC's are OK, when running right. (Aren't they all?!). On the other hand, we have found that, when problems *are* encountered, I may consider wishing a Sony PC on my worst enemy, at best! While being "innovative", we have found them, for the same reason, to be very proprietary in both, hardware and software. We have also experienced numerous Tech Support issues with them, as in, "WHAT Tech Support?!" I'm sure there are plenty of folks with glowing reports on the machines, but I'm afraid I would have to abstain from reporting them as such. FWIW, I'm NOT a Sony basher. I have numerous Sony manufactured pieces of electronics, but a PC would not be one of those for my consideration. Just MHO.... :cool:

Robert Goodwin
03-10-2004, 12:09 PM
I like to tinker and build my new machines. As long as you stay away from the absolute latest in technology, you can build these pretty cheep. Having said that I keep getting these DELL fliers that have systems that are cheeper than when I build them myself. 3-4 hunderd dollars w/o monitor. Of course they do not have a DVD burner or any of the TV/mpeg decoder cards, but you can get those for a hunderd or two each.

Glenn Clabo
03-10-2004, 12:18 PM
John,
I agree...I bought and recommended a whole lot of Dell machines over the years...the last 2 months have caused me to stop letting people who work here do it. I've had one totally unacceptable situation after another. Bad service doesn't even come close to an explanation. They simply give lip service to caring.

Now we are buying mostly Sony's...and they are running sweet. However, the Dell deal has me wondering what's coming down the pike. Everything is wonderful...until you need service nowadays.

Keith Outten
03-10-2004, 12:41 PM
Glenn,

We had the same problem with a high-end Gateway laptop that my daughter had to have for graduate school at MCV. Absolutely horrible support after the sale, the fact that she is a graduate student and HAD to have a laptop for classes didn't matter to Gateway. They finally replaced the machine after a continious stream of complaints, twenty visits to the store and three attempts at repair. It only took three months!

Dell and Gateway have just about put all the local computer stores out of business with their price war that has been raging for the last couple of years. Without local competition the big company's can easily take advantage of their situation and will continue their profit without support business model.

Michael Perata
03-11-2004, 1:35 PM
Absolutely horrible support after the sale, ...

Keith

I have exactly the opposite experience with Gateway and I'm on my second laptop with them.

The battery in my current laptop "expired" right after the warranty and they still replaced it and I got it the day after the phone call.

Your mileage may vary, but Gateway has my business in the future.