PDA

View Full Version : Dowelmax initial impressions

Matt Meiser
02-02-2008, 3:08 PM
I received my Dowelmax this week and spent a few minutes playing around with it between work and other other projects. So far it looks pretty good. I doweled the three pieces shown below together in less than 10 minutes and today I glued them up to see how strong they were. I'm impressed as I put about as much force on them as I think some of my M&T joints would have taken and they were solid. I'm also impressed by the precision of the joints. Where the first 3/4" x 2" piece meets the second they joints are level. There's a slight gap on one side because the end of the piece wasn't cut absolutely straight, but the dowels are. where the rail meets the 1-3/4" square stock I wanted an 1/8" offset like I would typically use where an apron meets a table leg. Since the Dowelmax doesn't have a 1/8" spacer, I just put two 1/8" thick washers in and drilled the holes.

There are two less-than-perfect things I noticed doing this. They aren't things that are deal breakers but I thought I'd point them out. First, in true 2" wide stock, there really isn't room for 3 dowels but having 2 puts them pretty far from the far edge. You could probably drill the third hole but there wouldn't be much stock between the hole and the edge. Now typically where I'm using 2" stock it is for face frames where I'll probably still use pocket screws, or doors with either a cope and stick or stub tenon profile so I probably wouldn't dowel them And in either case two dowels would be plenty strong IMHO. Second, the DM is definitely a lot messier than a Domino would have been. Just from drilling these joints I have a decent pile of chips on my bench. At least they are chips and not fine dust like a router mortising jig would make. And I'm confident its a lot quieter than a Domino.

There are a suprising number of pieces for this thing with the spacers, alignment pins, etc. I'm thinking of getting a Festool Systainer to keep everything in instead of just throwing it in a drawer so that I can have everything handy when working.

Overall, I'm satisfied so far. Hopefully I'll get to work on a real project to try it on soon. It came a few days late to use it on my current project which I glued up the night before the post office tried the first time to deliver this. And today I completed the sanding on that project and will be starting the finishing process tomorrow.

Rob Wright
02-02-2008, 3:33 PM
Matt,

Great initial review. I had wondered about the 2" stock and you confirmed a minor fear that I had.

-Rob

Bill Wyko
02-02-2008, 3:59 PM
Glad it works well for you. FYI though, a Domino isn't any louder than an electric drill.:D How was it for the material coming out flush from piece to piece? Also, is there a way to offset the dowels?

Ron Dunn
02-02-2008, 5:00 PM
Matt, what is 'true 2" stock' ? Does this mean that your finished piece is 2" wide, or that it is around 1.5" wide?

Sorry for my ignorance, but I don't fully understand American timber sizes and terminology.

I have a metric jig, and I can certainly get 3 dowels in stock that measures 51mm (a hair over 2")wide. Using 6mm dowels, the closest dowel is around 3mm from the edge.

3mm sounds small, but is perfectly fine. The biggest use of my Dowelmax is to align panels out of 12mm timber. 3mm from each face is my standard.

Matt Meiser
02-02-2008, 5:14 PM
It is true 2" material. I tried and you can definitely get 3 dowels into it, but that last one is probably a little less than 1/8" from the one edge, which pretty much is what Ron said (3mm = 0.118", 1/8" = 0.125"). Of course you could use 1/4" dowels and that would pull it in 1/16" more.