PDA

View Full Version : Ridgid 3650 or hybrid

David Stoner
02-02-2008, 2:35 PM
I'm about to get a new table saw and have narrowed my choices to two saws--one each in two categories. Among contractor's saws, I'm considering the Ridgid 3650 ($549 or maybe cheaper as they phase in the slightly updated 3660). A step up (but also $870 after freight and delivery) is the Woodtek 148-271 hybrid, which Fine Woodworking just chose as the best and best value hybrid saw. Are the pros in a good hybrid saw, such as the internal motor and resulting improved dust collection, significant enough to justify the additional cost. I've read almost uniformly good things about the Ridgid 3650, but I don't have a good handle on how close it is to the performance of a hybrid.

scott spencer
02-02-2008, 3:46 PM
Hi David - (I also answered in your response in the other thread) That's really a question that only you can answer depending on what the price difference means to your budget. What will that price difference mean to you in 6 months? Having made the jump from a very nice tricked out GI contractor saw to a hybrid, I'd say it's a worthwhile move if a full 3hp cabinet saw is not feasible. The advantages are pretty lopsided IMO....every change I wanted to make on my contractor saw was already done on the hybrid (and then some) ...in addition to improved DC, there's the difference in size of the footprint, the pros of a shorter drive belt (more efficient power transfer and lower vibration), additional mass, a more stable enclosure, plus the benefits of not having an exterior motor. Most of the better hybrids come with an upscale fence these days too, which IMO, just about justifies the cost difference by itself.

In the end, both will cut wood well enough once dialed in with a good blade. The biggest day to day differences that I noticed were the increased stability due to greater weight, and no more worries about hitting the motor on things when I tilt the blade. The fences were pretty much the same on my two saws, but that could be a bigger difference for you. I'd get out and kick the tires on as many models as possible and see what you like best...it's something you're likely to have for a while.

Jack Ganssle
02-02-2008, 4:00 PM
Good advice from Scott. I have the 3650 and absolutely love it. It's accurate, stays accurate, and, with a good blade, tears through everything I've pushed through it. Doesn't even slow down on 8/4 Maple or 8/4 Bublinga with a $27 (on sale from Amazon) LU87 Freud rip blade (which I use for ripping and most crosscutting except where a really smooth edge is needed). Amazingly, most of those cuts could probably be glued, though I generally do a light pass through the jointer. With an 80 tooth Freud crosscut cuts are truly polished.

Dust collection is better than most contractor saws but nothing like a hybrid or cabinet saw.

But... the TS is, for many of us, the centerpiece of the shop. If I didn't have a narrow stairway that makes it impossible to get big machines in the shop (I had to disassemble the 3650 to get it down there), I'd buy the best saw I could.