PDA

View Full Version : Drill Press Recommendation_Need input

David Viniard
02-02-2008, 1:15 PM
Hello,
I am trying to decide on a benchtop drill press. One of the main uses will be drilling pen blanks. As a result, I wanted a drill press with a 3" quill travel. I would appreciate any recommendations on good or bad drill presses.

Thanks
David

Paul Fitzgerald
02-02-2008, 1:39 PM
David,

I have two questions for you. 1) Do you have a budget in mind? 2) Is available space what led you to the benchtop models?

I recently purchased a drill press and I also wanted to make sure I could drill pen blanks. I was looking at several benchtop models, including the Delta DP350 ($249) and the Craftsman 21914 ($199). Space was not a huge consideration for me, so I also considered the Ridgid DP1550 ($299) and the Delta 17-950L ($369). I really liked the Steel City 20520 ($469), but it was out of my price range.

Ultimately, I ended up going with the Delta 17-950L because I didn't want to have to upgrade if and when I outgrew a benchtop model.

Paul

Doug Rogers
02-02-2008, 5:53 PM
Have you considered drilling the blanks with your lathe? Use a chuck with pin jaws to hold the blank. Get a drill chuck for your tailstock. Run the drill bit into the blank using the crank on your tailstock.

I like this method better than a drill press.

Doug Rogers

Jim Becker
02-02-2008, 6:12 PM
David, the majority of bench top drill presses have limited quill travel and they effectively take up more shop room than a floor standing machine. And when you do get to a machine that handles the capacities, the cost difference isn't there, more or less. I suggest you consider once of the many floor-standing models that meet your capacity requirements. In the long run, you'll likely be better served.

David Viniard
02-07-2008, 9:48 PM
Thanks everyone for your input. I have very limited floor space which is the reason I was considering the bench press. Since I am new to turning, what are the pros and cons to using the lathe to drill pen blanks? Recommendations on chucks for the lathe?

Thanks again
David:D

Cary Falk
02-08-2008, 3:55 AM
Thanks everyone for your input. I have very limited floor space which is the reason I was considering the bench press. Since I am new to turning, what are the pros and cons to using the lathe to drill pen blanks? Recommendations on chucks for the lathe?

Thanks again
David:D

I find that I get a better centered hole along the entire length of the pen blank with a lathe than a drill press. I have a PSI Baracuda2 and am extermely happy with it. It is probably the best bang for you buck in chucks. I had a Bench top DP with a little over 3" quil travel and it was a PITA to drill pen blanks. I now have a SC 17" with a 6" QT.:D
Cary

John Callahan
02-09-2008, 12:43 PM
A double ditto to what Jim Becker said. Benchtops are generally limited in capacity, quill travel, power and range of speeds- my current Delta DP300 is a good case in point. With just 1/3 hp, it stalls with big bits, it's lowest speed is 620 rpm- too fast for those big Forstner bits, and quill travel is only 2 3/8" which makes drilling thick stock a pita ............. makes me wish for the old Clausing I ran a few decades ago. When you get to benchtops with serious power, capacity and quill travel, there is usually little or no difference in price and the footprint between benchtops and floor models- they are often the same machine other than column length.

David Viniard
02-12-2008, 1:24 PM
Just wanted to thank everyone for their input. Currently I just don't have the room for a full size drill press, so I am ordering a Barracuda2 chuck for my lathe. Since I am just getting started with turning, I think that is a good starting place..

Thanks again!
David

Bill Wyko
02-12-2008, 3:54 PM
Rikon makes a nice bench top DP. You might look at one of them.